These pretty pink vegan strawberry cupcakes are deliciously spongey and moist and packed with strawberry flavor! Topped with a delicious strawberry frosting these are perfect for any special occasion.
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) + 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (232g) Strawberry Purée*
- 2 tsp Strawberry Extract*
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1 Tbsp Pink or Red Food Coloring (optional)
For the Strawberry Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Strawberry Extract
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Strawberry Purée
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the strawberry purée, strawberry extract, oil and vinegar.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add in the flax egg and the pink or red food colouring.
- Mix. The batter will be very thick, too thick for a whisk so just stir with a spoon until well mixed, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, strawberry essence and 2 Tbsp of strawberry purée to the mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until the frosting is smooth. Only add in the extra strawberry purée if your frosting is too thick. If it’s too thin, add in more powdered sugar.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with slices of strawberry.
*To make strawberry purée add strawberries to the food processor (leaves cut off) and purée. I didn’t have as many strawberries this time as I did when I made my strawberry cake so I had to be quite exact with it. Around 10.5oz (300g) of strawberries puréed made enough for the cupcakes and frosting. But if you make a bit more, it’s awesome to just eat the leftovers as well.
*Strawberry extract may also be called strawberry essence or strawberry flavoring.
*If you choose not to use the food coloring it won’t have an effect on the taste or texture, it just won’t be pink.
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 48.6g
- Sodium: 245mg
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 67.5g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 2.6g