These pretty pink vegan strawberry cupcakes are deliciously moist and packed with strawberry flavor! Topped with strawberry frosting.
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (232g) Strawberry Purée*
- 2 tsp Strawberry Extract*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canola Oil*
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp Red Gel Food Coloring
For the Strawberry Frosting:
- 3 cups (360g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Strawberry Extract
- 2 Tbsp Strawberry Purée
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- Add the strawberry purée, strawberry extract, oil, vinegar and red gel food coloring and mix into a thick batter. .
- The batter will be very thick, too thick for a whisk so just stir with a spoon until well mixed, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, strawberry extract and strawberry purée to the mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until the frosting is smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with slices of strawberry.
*To make strawberry purée add strawberries to the food processor (leaves cut off) and purée. Around 10.5oz (300g) of strawberries puréed makes enough for the cupcakes and frosting.
*Strawberry extract may also be called strawberry essence or strawberry flavoring. If you can’t get hold of it, you can omit it, the strawberry purée will still provide plenty of strawberry flavor.
*You can use any vegetable oil. We have even used olive oil in making these cupcakes but some brands can leave an aftertaste so a neutral flavored oil like canola oil or vegetable oil is preferable.
*If you choose not to use the food coloring it won’t have an effect on the taste or texture, it just won’t be as pink. Red gel food coloring is much stronger than liquid food coloring, so if you’re using the liquid, then you will need to add 1 Tablespoon to get the same color.
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 48.6g
- Sodium: 245mg
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 67.5g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 2.6g
Keywords: vegan strawberry cupcakes