Creamy vegan strawberry ice cream packed with strawberry flavor. Perfectly textured, smooth, and the prettiest pink color!
So you know there is that kind of vegan strawberry ice cream that is super wholesome and is made with just like strawberries and frozen bananas?
Well, this is not that recipe.
I really wanted to go for a strawberry ice cream that tastes similar to what you would buy in a tub at the store.
For my first try I reduced strawberry purée by half on the stove first and then blended that into the ice cream mixture. I thought that might intensify the strawberry flavor.
But the end result had way too much tartness and also had more of that frozen fruit texture, which surprised me since it was a strawberry reduction, but you know… okay then!
So then I tried it with some strawberry purée, no reducing at all, just fresh purée, and a little strawberry extract to kind of get the strawberry flavor to more closely mimic the strawberry flavored goodies you would buy.
And then there it was, really really good strawberry ice cream!
How To Make Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
Add a can of coconut milk and a can of coconut cream to a pot along with sugar and syrup.
Bring that to a simmer stirring constantly.
As soon as it reaches a simmer, remove it from the heat and add puréed strawberries, strawberry extract and salt.
Use an immersion blender to blend everything smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you could let the mixture cool down a bit and then blend it in your regular blender.
Move the mixture to a storage container or jug and place it into the fridge to chill. I usually just let this chill overnight, but if you’re in a hurry you can let it chill in the freezer for an hour or so, you just need the mixture to be very cold before churning.
Churn it in your ice cream maker until it reaches a soft serve consistency. Depending on the kind of ice cream maker you have, this could be anywhere from around 20 minutes to 45 minutes.
Once the ice cream is churned, smooth it down into a loaf pan and cover with foil. Place it into the freezer to set.
Scoop and enjoy!
Heat and then immersion blend. Heating the basic ice cream mixture and then blending it helps to really smooth out the fats which creates that really good ice cream mouthfeel!
Ice cream machine. We use a Cuisinart ice cream maker which we love and usually gets the churning job done in 20-25 minutes.
Plan in advance. It’s not super fast to make this. The hands on time is quick, but with all the waiting time in-between for the ice cream mix to chill and then the churned ice cream to set, it’s not fast. But it is easy!
Coconut cream and coconut milk. The cans of coconut milk and coconut cream create the perfect creamy texture. They are very high in fat which works really well for making ice cream. Switching these for other plant based milks is not going to work as well because the other milks are not as high in fat.
White granulated sugar. I used regular granulated white sugar, but you can switch for a different sugar if you want, it will change the color of the ice cream, but light brown sugar and coconut sugar are also fine to use.
Maple syrup. You can use maple syrup or any syrup for this ice cream. If you have a particular syrup that you like the flavor of, that will be fine to use here. The syrup helps in creating a super smooth texture for this ice cream in the final result.
Strawberry extract. This is optional, but does add a more intense strawberry flavor. The strawberry purée does create great strawberry flavor on it’s own.
Keep it stored in the freezer and ideally enjoy it within a week and up to a maximum of two weeks.
Yes, it’s ice cream so theoretically it’s fine to keep longer, but it does start to incorporate some ice crystals the longer you keep it so the taste is best when it’s fresh.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
- Vegan Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Vegan Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
- Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- The night before you want to make the ice cream, make sure to place the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer so that it’s ready to go.
- Prepare your strawberry purée by placing whole strawberries (stems cut off) into a food processor and processing into purée. Set aside.
- Add the coconut cream, coconut milk, sugar and maple syrup to a pot on the stove and bring it to a simmer, stirring gently the whole time. As soon as it reaches a simmer, remove it from the heat.
- Add in the strawberry purée, strawberry extract and salt and then using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender then you can do this in a regular blender, just be careful when blending hot liquid.
- Pour the mixture into a container with a lid, and place it into the fridge to chill overnight. If you’re in a hurry you can place it into the freezer instead and that will speed up the process, just keep a check on it, and when the mix is very chilled, you are ready to churn it.
- Churn according to manufacturer instructions for your ice cream maker, but it should be in the region of 20-45 minutes until it reaches a soft serve consistency. When it reaches this consistency, transfer the ice cream to a loaf pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Cover with foil and place into the freezer to set completely (usually at least 6 hours).
- Scoop and serve!
- The strawberry extract can be omitted if it’s hard to find, the strawberry purée is enough to flavor this, but if you can get it, it’s great to use since it does add some great flavor.
- Prep time does not include chilling in the fridge or setting in the freezer.