These vegan stuffed mushrooms are stuffed with vegan cream cheese and herbs, topped with breadcrumbs and baked to golden perfection. You will want seconds, and thirds!
- 12 Large Mushrooms (Stems removed)*
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Raw Cashews (soak in hot water for 1 hour)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canned Coconut Cream*
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Birds Eye Chili (Seeded and Chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Spring Onions/Green Onions/Scallions (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (Melted)
- Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Chopped Basil
- To start, place your cashews in a bowl. Pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave them to soak for one hour. After an hour, drain and rinse them.
- While the cashews are soaking, rinse the mushrooms and remove the stems. Keep the stems aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Add the soaked cashews to the blender along with the mushroom stems, lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, garlic, chili, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt and blend until smooth.
- Transfer your blended cream cheese mix to a bowl and add chopped spring onions and chopped basil and fold in.
- Place your mushrooms on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Stuff each mushroom with the cream cheese filling.
- Now add the breadcrumbs to a bowl, add the melted vegan butter and toss with the breadcrumbs so that they’re lightly coated with the butter.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the stuffed mushrooms.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and crispy on top.
- Serve with a sprinkle of ground black pepper and fresh chopped basil.
*Large mushrooms – you can use any large mushrooms, like portobello mushrooms, you just want to make sure that they’re shaped so that they will be able to hold the filling. If you want to use this recipe as finger food, then you can use smaller mushrooms, you will just need to use more of them.
*Coconut cream should be canned and unsweetened coconut cream. If you can’t get hold of it, you can also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
*Distilled white vinegar works really well to create that tangy cheesy flavor. Apple cider vinegar can be used in a pinch but it doesn’t work nearly so well for flavor.
*Make Ahead: You can make this recipe up to the point that you would bake it, and then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking.
*Storing: Keep leftover mushrooms stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
*Freezing: You can freeze them BEFORE baking, but not after. So if you want to freeze them, make the recipe up to the point that you would bake them but instead of baking, freeze them for up to 3 months. Then you can simply bake them from frozen, just allow an extra few minutes of baking time.
*Prep time is for hands on time only and excludes the time spent soaking the cashews.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Mushroom (of 12)
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 5.5g
Keywords: vegan stuffed mushrooms