Vegan stuffed shells stuffed with an almond tofu spinach ricotta and topped with a rich and delicious marinara sauce and baked. Ideal comfort food.
- 1/2 of an 18-ounce package (250g) Jumbo Shells
- 1 and 1/2 cups (195g) Slivered Almonds (soaked in hot water for 1 hour)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Cream (Canned, Unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Tofu Spinach Ricotta:
- 10-ounces (280g) Firm Silken Tofu*
- 1 cup (40g) Baby Spinach (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 and 1/2 cups (600ml) Marinara Sauce*
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped Parsley
- Soak almonds: Soak slivered almonds in hot water for an hour first. Place them into a bowl, pour hot water from the kettle over the top and then leave them to soak for 1 hour.
- Cook pasta: Put the pasta on to cook according to package directions but only cook them until al dente or just before. They need to be firm for stuffing. When the shells are al dente, drain and rinse.
- Make almond ricotta: When the slivered almonds have soaked for an hour, drain and rinse them and then add them to the blender jug along with coconut cream, nutritional yeast, white vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt and garlic powder. Blend until smooth. The texture will still be a little grainy, but that is just fine.
- Make tofu spinach ricotta: Now add your full batch of almond ricotta to your food processor and add tofu (broken into pieces), chopped baby spinach, chopped parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Process until well mixed. If the mix goes a little green from the spinach and parsley, this is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add 1 cup (240ml) of marinara sauce to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish and spread it evenly across the bottom.
- Stuff the shells using a small spoon and stuff each one to the brim so that you use up all the filling. Place the stuffed shells into the 9×13 dish on top of the marinara sauce.
- When all the shells are in, pour over the remaining marinara sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and return to the oven to bake for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese (optional) and serve.
*You can use any tofu, but we found firm or extra firm silken tofu to result in the best texture. However, we have made this with regular firm tofu as well and it also works great.
*Use any great tasting marinara sauce.
*Prep time does not include the hour spent soaking the slivered almonds.
*Keep leftovers covered in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days.
*Nutritional information does not include vegan parmesan cheese on top.
*This recipe was first published in March 2019. It has been updated with extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 814mg
- Fat: 19.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 35.8g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 15.8g
Keywords: vegan stuffed shells