This vegan stuffing recipe is the best ever and will soon be your new favorite side dish. Buttery and delicious and packed with flavor from sage, thyme and rosemary. The perfect side for any special occasion.
- 12 cups Sourdough Bread Cubes (~600g)
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter (plus more to top before baking)
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 4 Stalks Celery (Chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Sage
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley (Chopped)
- 3 cups (720ml) Vegetable Stock/Broth
- Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C). Cut your bread into cubes and spread them out on a baking tray. Bake for 50-60 minutes, turning them over half way.
- Remove the bread cubes from the oven and then increase the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the vegan butter to a frying pan along with chopped onion, crushed garlic, celery, dried sage, thyme and rosemary and sauté until softened. About 10 minutes.
- Add the dried bread cubes to a mixing bowl and add the onion and celery mix along with fresh chopped parsley and toss together.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable stock or broth and toss while slowly adding more until your bread cubes are moist but not soggy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a 9×13 dish. Dot with vegan butter on the top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and then bake for a further 10-15 minutes uncovered until golden and crispy on top.
- Decorate with a sprig of fresh rosemary and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley (optional).
*Pre-bake the bread. It’s important to use stale bread (at least one day old) and then bake it as well to dry it out further. This prevents your stuffing from being soggy.
*Vegetable Stock/Broth: Only use as much stock/broth as needed. Different types of bread will need more or less vegetable broth or stock, so just use as much as needed so that your bread cubes are moistened but not soggy.
*Baking times: Bake until golden and crispy on top. Baking times may vary slightly, also according to what bread you use. So just keep an eye on it once you have removed the cover. It should be 10 to 15 minutes of baking uncovered to be nicely golden and crispy.
*Make ahead: This is a perfect recipe to make up ahead of time. Bake it as usual and then allow to cool completely. Cover and place in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to serve, uncover and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes to heat through.
*Storing and freezing: Keep leftovers stored in the fridge (covered) for 4-5 days. It’s also freezer friendly for up to 3 months.
*Prep time: This includes the time (50-60 minutes) for the bread to pre-bake and dry out. Other prep such as chopping celery and onions can happen while the bread is pre-baking.
- Category: Side, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 598mg
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 6.1g
Keywords: vegan stuffing, vegan stuffing recipe