This vegan sweet potato curry has got us pretty excited around these parts. The past week we’ve been testing it and then shooting it so we’ve been eating a lot of curry. And it’s been totally divine!
To say it’s delicious would be a serious understatement. It’s the kind of meal where you just can’t stop exclaiming about how good it is to everyone around you!
And it’s this delicious with remarkably little effort. In fact I’d say it’s downright easy to make this meal.
How to make vegan sweet potato curry
It’s a simple mix of onion, garlic, ginger, red curry paste and spices, with sweet potato, lentils, canned tomato, vegetable stock, coconut milk, fresh basil and a little peanut butter!
The peanut butter increases the creaminess and richness of the dish while providing a great flavor addition to the other ingredients.
Fresh basil adds a dash of color as well as lovely fresh flavor.
Serve the curry with some more fresh basil, crushed peanuts and either on its own or over some basmati rice, or if you’d like it a little lighter, then serve it over cauliflower rice.
We used coconut milk (the full fat version) for this vegan sweet potato curry, but you could use coconut cream if you wanted to make it even richer, or a light coconut milk if you wanted to make it lighter.
I hope you’ll love this delicious vegan sweet potato curry, it is:
- Insanely good!
Leftovers keep wonderfully well in the fridge and can be reheated the next day.
More vegan curry recipes!
- Vegan Massaman Curry
- Vegan Green Curry
- Vegan Potato Curry
- Vegan Coconut Curry
- Vegan Pumpkin Curry
- Butternut Squash Curry Bowls
What do you think of this vegan sweet potato curry? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe. Thank you!
Sign up to our email list so that you’ll be the first to know whenever new recipes are posted to the blog, and you’ll get an awesome free dinner recipes ebook in the deal too!
Rich and satisfying vegan sweet potato curry. Hearty, comforting and insanely good, this vegan curry is really simple to make with very impressive results.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Red Curry Paste*
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes (~2.6lb/1200g) – (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Lentils (Drained)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Chopped Tomato
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk*
- 1/4 cup (63g) Peanut Butter
- 2 cups (40g) Fresh Basil
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or Brown Sugar)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Basmati Rice or Cauliflower Rice
- Fresh Basil
- Crushed Peanuts
- Add the olive oil to a pot along with the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and red curry paste, cayenne pepper, paprika and turmeric and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the chopped sweet potatoes and lentils and toss to mix in with the spices.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Cover the pot and let it simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender (around 10-12 minutes).
- Add in the peanut butter and stir in until melted.
- Add in the fresh basil and stir in until wilted.
- Add the coconut sugar or brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over basmati rice or cauliflower rice and top with some crushed peanuts and fresh basil.
*If you want a spicier curry you could use more red curry paste.
*It’s definitely best to use a full fat coconut milk for the best taste results, and you could even swap for coconut cream if you want it even richer.
*Nutrition information is for curry only and does not include rice.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 462
- Sugar: 17.8g
- Sodium: 585mg
- Fat: 19.7g
- Saturated Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 62.6g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 11.3g
Keywords: vegan sweet potato curry, sweet potato curry