This vegan sweet potato pie is wonderfully rich and packed with flavor. It’s extremely simple to make, slices beautifully and tastes like heaven!
This vegan sweet potato pie is simply wonderful. It’s very close to a pumpkin pie and in fact this recipe is adapted from our (simply divine) vegan pumpkin pie.
This is perfect for when you have some extra sweet potatoes on hand and want something a little different to pumpkin pie.
It’s wonderfully satisfying and if you have guests this will be one of the favorites for sure!
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- It’s so simple to make this sweet potato pie!
- Simply add sweet potato purée to your blender jug along with coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and ground ginger. Blend until smooth.
- Pour this out over a 9-inch uncooked pie crust in a pie dish and smooth down.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F bringing it out at the 40 minute mark to tent with foil if it shows any signs of over-browning and putting it back in for the remaining 20 minutes.
- Let it cool on the counter for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. You can also put it in the fridge once cooled and then let it chill some more. The more chilled it is, the better it will slice!
- Serve with some chopped pecans for decoration and some vegan whipped cream!
Sweet Potato Purée
You can either use canned sweet potato purée or you can make it up fresh. Either way will work great. We made it up fresh and it’s super easy to do.
Just peel and chop sweet potato and place onto a parchment lined baking tray. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes until soft and cooked. Let it cool for a little bit before puréeing in the food processor. Then you’re ready to use it!
To get the right amount for this recipe, I will usually just bake up a whole 2.2 pound (1kg) bag of sweet potato. Once it’s peeled and chopped and then cooked and puréed you will have just a little bit more than you need, but that’s okay.
Vegan Pie Crust
You can either make up your own 9-inch vegan pie crust (we have a super easy recipe for it!) or use a pre-made store-bought uncooked pie crust.
Make Ahead, Storing and Freezing
This is the perfect pie to make in advance as it’s even better the next day. So if you need to make it the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight (covered) then that is ideal.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge (covered) for 5-7 days.
It is also freezer friendly! You can freeze the whole baked pie and then let it thaw in the fridge overnight and serve as usual.
More Vegan Pies
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Vegan Apple Pie
- Vegan Pecan Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Tart
- Vegan Banana Cream Pie
- Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Chopped Pecan Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the sweet potato purée, coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and ground ginger to your blender jug and blend until smooth. It will be quite thick, so be patient with your blender. Stop and give it a shake or stir from time to time and then blend again.
- Pour this out over the top of an unbaked 9-inch vegan pie crust (either store-bought or homemade) in a 9-inch pie dish and smooth down.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Tent it with foil* at the 40 minute mark to prevent over-browning and then put it back in for the remaining 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the counter for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. It’s even better if you let it chill even more in the fridge after cooling on the counter. The more chilled it is the better it will slice.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream and chopped pecans for decoration.
- You can use fresh or canned sweet potato purée. To make it up fresh, bake peeled and chopped sweet potato on a parchment lined baking tray for 30 minutes at 350°F. Let it cool and then purée it in the food processor.
- Coconut milk should be full fat canned coconut milk.
- You can make your own vegan pie crust from our easy recipe or use a store-bought pie crust but it must be unbaked.
- Tenting with foil just means to place the foil loosely on top in a ‘tent’ shape so that it doesn’t press down on the pie from the top.
- Nutritional information is for 1 slice of 10 including a homemade vegan pie crust but excluding vegan whipped cream and chopped pecans.