This vegan taco meat is made with tofu, walnuts and spices and makes a wonderfully chewy and ‘meaty’ vegan meat substitute.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add walnuts to the food processor and process into crumbles. Mash the tofu with a fork. Add the crushed walnuts and tofu pieces to a dish.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, olive oil, soy sauce, maple syrup and tomato paste to a jug and whisk into a thick sauce.
- Mix the sauce in with the tofu and walnut crumbles and mix in until everything is coated in the sauce.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray and spread out evenly across the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, bring it out at the 15 minute mark and give it a stir and then put it back in.
- Serve in tacos with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole and vegan sour cream.
*If you want this vegan taco meat to be entirely gluten-free then use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari. If you use a regular (not dark) soy sauce, the color of the taco meat will be much lighter.
*This makes a fairly large portion, enough for 6 people if served with tacos and other fillings.
*Nutritional information is for vegan taco meat only and not anything else you would serve it with.
*This recipe was first published in October 2018.
- Category: Side, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 6)
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Fat: 28.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 14.7g
Keywords: vegan taco meat