Soft and buttery vegan thumbprint cookies with a raspberry jam center and almond glaze. These perfectly sweet melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookie delights are so easy and fun to make and simply gorgeous!
- 1 cup (225g) Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract*
- 2 Cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Raspberry Jam*
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup (120g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp (plus a few drops) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1–2 drops Almond Extract
- Add the vegan butter and sugar to an electric mixer and cream them together. Then add in the almond extract and mix in.
- Add in the flour and salt and stir in by hand until it forms a thick dough.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and break off pieces of the dough, roll into balls and place the balls onto the tray.
- Use your thumb to create thumbprints in the balls, the dough may crack along the edges, just use your fingers to try to smooth out the cracks as best you can. Try and get the thumb indents as uniform as possible.
- Place the tray with the cookies into the freezer for 15 minutes so that the cookies can firm up before filling the indents with jam.
- After 15 minutes bring out the tray, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and fill the thumbprints with raspberry jam.
- Bake in the oven for 16 minutes until the edges of the cookies are slightly browned.
- Let them cool for at least 30 minutes before glazing.
- For the glaze, add the powdered sugar, soy milk and a drop or two of almond extract (just enough to get the flavor but nothing overpowering) to your electric mixer. A tablespoon of soy milk is too little, so you need just a few extra drops of soy milk to get the right amount.
- Drizzle the glaze over your cooled cookies, or use a piping bag to pipe it on.
*The almond extract flavor is subtle and adds charm 🙂 – but it can also be omitted if it’s not an appealing flavor blend to you.
*Feel free to use a different flavor jam.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 13.4g
- Sodium: 133mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 24.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.3g