This vegan tiramisu is amazingly delicious and super fun to make!
Note: I said ‘fun’ and not ‘quick’.
It’s layers of vanilla sponge, soaked in kahlua spiked coffee syrup, topped with cashew coconut whipped cream! It’s creamy dreamy boozy bliss!
The first step is making a vegan vanilla sheet cake.
This works out really well and is super easy, because a sheet cake only takes 20 minutes to bake, so it’s nice and quick and then you can just cut it to fit your dish.
I had a bit of sheet cake left over after cutting the layers, and that’s of course the ideal, rather than having too little.
The most time-efficient way to make this is to put your sheet cake in to bake and while that is baking, make your cashew mascarpone, and your whipped coconut cream and set aside.
By that time your cake should be ready and you can set that to cooling while you make your coffee syrup. Then you can leave everything to cool before assembling.
So it’s really not that complicated, there are just a few moving parts to it. But the hands on time is really only 90 minutes including assembly. There is extra time needed for ingredients to cool and then of course you want your tiramisu to set really nicely as well.
I used a glass dish that is 8×8 along the bottom but widens to 9×9 at the top. So I think either size dish (or one that widens like mine) will work for this. If you don’t already have a dish, you could try this 8×8 dish from Amazon.
I hope you will love this vegan tiramisu! It is:
- Coffee and Liqueur Soaked
- Soft and spongey
- Insanely good!
It really comes into its own the next day actually! Not that you need to wait until the second day to eat it, but just telling you! You’ll absolutely love the leftovers here!
The extra time for everything to spend soaking in really makes the magic happen.
So what do you think of this vegan tiramisu? Let us know in the comments! And please rate the recipe too as that is soooo helpful! Thank you!
For more delicious desserts, check out these awesome options:
Sign up to our email list while you’re here, you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipe posts and you’ll get a free recipe ebook when you sign up!Print
Mind-blowing vegan tiramisu! Layers of vanilla sponge cake soaked in coffee and liqueur and layered with a cashew ‘mascarpone’ and whipped coconut cream! Super fun to make and amazingly good to eat.
For the Vanilla Sponge:
For the Vegan Mascarpone:
- 1 and 3/4 cups (262g) Raw Cashews
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Maple Syrup or Golden Syrup
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Almond Milk
For the Whipped Cream:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (chilled at least overnight in the fridge)
- 1/4 cup (30g) Powdered Sugar
For the Coffee Syrup:
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Water
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee Granules
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Kahlua
- Prepare your vanilla sheet cake first. That bakes in a 10×15 inch half sheet baking pan, but slightly different size baking sheets will also work. It can be helpful to line your half sheet pan with parchment paper so that your sheet cake is easier to lift out. You want to be able to cut your sheet cake to fit a square dish.
- While your sheet cake is baking, prepare your mascarpone. Add the cashews, syrup, coconut oil, salt, vanilla and almond milk to the blender and blend. There is no need to soak the cashews first unless you have a very weak model blender. There is enough liquid for this to blend if you have a fairly strong blender model. Transfer the mascarpone to a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your whipped cream. Remove the cans of coconut cream from the fridge, being careful not to shake. Open them and scoop out only the hard cream that has risen to the top into the bowl of an electric mixer, leaving the water behind. You can throw out this water or use it in smoothies. Starting at slow speed, increase speed until your cream is whipped to medium peaks. Add in the powdered sugar and whip again.
- Fold the whipped coconut cream into the cashew mascarpone. Place into the fridge.
- By this time your sheet cake should be ready, let that cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Prepare your coffee syrup. Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and heat, stirring all the while until boiling. Once boiling, allow to boil for 2 minutes (time it) and then remove from the heat. Dissolve the coffee granules in the kahlua before adding to the sugar syrup and mix in. Allow to cool before using.
- When the cake has cooled and the coffee syrup has cooled, cut the cake to fit the bottom layer of a square dish* and pour over half the coffee syrup.
- Add half the cashew mascarpone cream mix and smooth it down into a smooth layer.
- Cut the remaining half of the cake to fit the next layer (it’s okay if you don’t have one piece but rather have to cut a couple of pieces to fit) and pour over the remaining half of the coffee syrup.
- Add the remaining half of the cashew mascarpone cream mix and smooth it down.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder over the top.
- Place into the fridge to set for a couple of hours and also to let the flavors soak in.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.
*If (and only if) your vegan whipped cream is very floppy and won’t reach medium peaks, you can add in a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of xanthum gum as a fix. Just be careful as this firms it up very fast, and can firm it up almost too much. So go slow.
*The dish I used is 8×8 at the bottom but widens to 9×9 toward the top, I was easily able to cut the cake to fit the narrower bottom layer and then the wider top layer. So I think either size dish (or a dish that widens at the top like mine) would work fine here.
*Prep time includes the making of the sheet cake and the prepping of all the other ingredients plus the assembly of the tiramisu but not time spent chilling.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 694
- Sugar: 48.6g
- Sodium: 416mg
- Fat: 39.5g
- Saturated Fat: 19.7g
- Carbohydrates: 78.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 8.7g