This vegan tiramisu is rich and decadent and insanely delicious. It’s perfect as a make-ahead dessert option and the only tiramisu recipe you’ll ever need.
For the Vanilla Sponge Cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Soy Milk (or Almond Milk)
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
For the Vegan Mascarpone:
- 1 and 3/4 cups (262g) Raw Cashews*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Almond Milk
For the Whipped Cream:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (chilled at least overnight in the fridge)
- 1/4 cup (30g) Powdered Sugar
For the Coffee Syrup:
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Water
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee or Finely Ground Coffee
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Kahlua
- Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- Prepare your vanilla sheet cake. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 10×15 half sheet baking pan with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add soy milk, vanilla extract, oil and vinegar and mix into a batter. Don’t overmix.
- Transfer to your prepared baking pan and smooth it out into the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare your cashew mascarpone. While your sheet cake is baking prepare your mascarpone.
- Add the cashews, syrup, coconut oil, salt, vanilla and almond milk to the blender and blend. Transfer the mascarpone to a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your whipped cream. Remove the cans of coconut cream from the fridge, being careful not to shake. Open them and scoop out only the hard cream that has risen to the top into the bowl of an electric mixer, leaving the water behind. Starting at slow speed, increase speed until your cream is whipped to medium peaks (see notes)*. Add in the powdered sugar and whip again.
- Fold the whipped coconut cream into the cashew mascarpone. Place into the fridge.
- By this time your sheet cake should be ready, let that cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Prepare your coffee syrup. Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and heat, stirring all the while until boiling.
- Once boiling, allow to boil for 2 minutes (time it) and then remove from the heat. Dissolve the coffee granules in the kahlua before adding to the sugar syrup and mixing in. Allow to cool before using.
- Assemble the tiramisu. When the cake has cooled and the coffee syrup has cooled cut the sheet cake to fit the bottom layer of a square 9×9 dish and pour over half the coffee syrup.
- Add half the cashew mascarpone cream mix on top and smooth it down into a smooth layer.
- Cut the remaining half of the cake to fit the next layer (it’s okay if you don’t have one piece but rather have to cut the cake into a few pieces to fit) and pour over the remaining half of the coffee syrup.
- Add the remaining half of the cashew mascarpone cream mix and smooth it down.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top.
- Place into the fridge to set for 2-3 hours or overnight to let the flavors soak in. Cut into slices and enjoy.
*There is no need to soak your cashews first unless you have a very weak model blender. If you want to soak them first then place them into a bowl, pour over boiling water and let them soak for 10-15 minutes. Drain and continue with the recipe.
*If (and only if) your vegan whipped cream is very floppy and won’t reach medium peaks, you can add in a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of xanthum gum as a fix. Just be careful as this firms it up very fast, and can firm it up almost too much. So go slow.
*Prep time includes the making of the sheet cake and the prepping of all the other ingredients plus the assembly of the tiramisu but not the time spent chilling.
*This recipe was first published in March 2018.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 694
- Sugar: 48.6g
- Sodium: 416mg
- Fat: 39.5g
- Saturated Fat: 19.7g
- Carbohydrates: 78.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 8.7g
Keywords: vegan tiramisu