Deliciously creamy vegan tomato basil soup served with a drizzle of homemade basil oil. Super easy, restaurant-worthy appetizer, packed with flavor!
For the Tomato Basil Soup:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 Large Carrots (Chopped)
- 2 Stalks Celery (Chopped)
- 2 14oz (400g) Cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 6 Large Ripe Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or sub Brown Sugar)
- 1 cup Fresh Basil (packed cup)
- 1 cup (240ml) Coconut Cream
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
For the Basil Oil (Optional):
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a pot and sauté until softened. Then add the oregano, dried basil, carrots, celery, canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and mix together.
- Then add in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the carrots are softened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, fresh basil and coconut cream. Blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to your blender jug in stages and then returning to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the basil oil crush basil leaves with a mortar and pestle until you have a paste. Then mix with olive oil and whisk together. If it isn’t mixing together well and is separating you can use the immersion blender quickly to blend it together nicely.
- Serve the soup with a drizzle of basil oil and some crusty bread for dipping (optional).
*Nutritional information does not include anything the soup is served with such as basil oil or bread.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 19.5g
- Sodium: 508mg
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Protein: 5.9g
Keywords: vegan tomato basil soup