This vegan wellington is perfect for a special occasion. Creamy mushroom sauce wrapped in deliciously flaky puff pastry. Simple and gorgeous.
For the Mushrooms:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 pack (~9oz/250g) White Button Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 pack (~9oz/250g) Brown (Portobellino) Mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For assembling the Wellington:
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry (thawed)
- 1-2 Tbsp Vegan Butter (melted, for brushing)
- Fresh Rosemary
- Add the olive oil, chopped onions, crushed garlic, rosemary, coriander, thyme and oregano to a pot and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and soy sauce and sauté with the onions until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the cashews, water and salt to a blender jug and blend until smooth. Add the cashew cream to the mushrooms and bring to the boil. It will thicken as it heats and create a deliciously creamy sauce.
- Turn off the heat and leave the sauce to cool as it will thicken more as it cools. When the sauce is cooled, assemble your wellington.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lie the sheet of puff pastry down on the parchment paper. You might need to trim your puff pastry slightly to fit your baking sheet.
- Add the mushroom sauce along one side of the sheet of pastry, leaving a margin at the edge so that when you fold the pastry over you will be able to seal it along the edge (see our photos to see this in action).
- Fold the puff pastry over the top of the mushrooms, sealing it along the margin you left on the edge. Use a fork to make ridges in the pastry at the edges and help to seal it in even better.
- Brush the top of the pastry with melted vegan butter and cut diagonal slashes across the top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Decorate with a sprig of fresh rosemary and serve.
*Prep time does not include the time for the sauce to cool.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 5.7g
- Sodium: 547mg
- Fat: 30.8g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 33.6g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 10.7g
Keywords: vegan wellington, vegan mushroom wellington