Wholesome and delicious vegan zucchini bread. It’s fluffy and perfectly moist and you’ll never suspect it’s hiding green vegetables!
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1 cup (140g) Shredded Zucchini (Packed Cup)
- 1/3 cup (75g) Mashed Ripe Banana
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Chopped, plus more to place directly on top of the bread before baking)*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the white granulated sugar, light brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix together.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allow to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the flax egg, shredded zucchini, mashed banana, soy milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and mix in briefly. It will seem like there is not enough wet ingredients to mix in properly, don’t worry. Leave the mixing bowl for a couple of minutes. When you come back to it the zucchini will have released more water into the mix and you should be able to form it into a thick batter. Mix it in properly, but don’t overmix.
- Add chopped walnuts and mix in.
- Transfer to your prepared loaf pan and smooth down evenly. Add a few chopped walnuts directly to the top of the bread before baking.
- Place into the oven and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for a few minutes before removing it from the pan and placing onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
*Measure the flour correctly either using the ‘spoon and level’ method – spoon it into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife – or weigh it on a food scale.
*Zucchini: I usually shred my zucchini in the food processor (you shred it with the skins on, no need to peel it first) as it’s the easiest way to do it.
*Coconut oil: This can be replaced with a different oil or even melted vegan butter.
*Walnuts: These are optional. Pecans would also work great.
*Storing: Store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature where it will keep for 2-3 days.
*Freezing: You can freeze it for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely before freezing and then ideally wrap it in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing. Thaw in the fridge overnight and let it come to room temperature on the counter before serving.
*This recipe was first published in August 2018. It has been updated with new photos and extra tips. The recipe itself (except for the addition of walnuts) is unchanged).
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 17.7g
- Sodium: 229mg
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 3.9g
Keywords: vegan zucchini bread