This vegan pinto bean soup is hearty and nourishing and totally delicious. It’s also super easy to throw together and wonderfully satisfying.
- 1 cup (200g) Dried Pinto Beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion (Yellow, Brown or White)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 4 cups (960ml) Water
- 4 Medium Potatoes (Peeled and Chopped)
- 2 Large Carrots (Diced)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (Diced)
- Salt and Pepper (To Taste)*
- The night before you want to make this soup, place a cup of pinto beans in a bowl and pour over cold water. Cover and leave them to soak overnight. Then rinse and drain before using in this recipe.
- Add olive oil to a pot with chopped onions, crushed garlic and dried rosemary and sauté until softened.
- Now add in water, pinto beans, chopped potatoes, chopped carrots and chopped tomato. Bring to the boil and then cover the pot, reduce heat and leave to simmer for around an hour until the beans and veggies are soft and cooked.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, then allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring in stages to your blender jug, blend it and then once it’s all blended return it to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Soak the pinto beans overnight: This is an essential step in this soup, since we use dried pinto beans and if you don’t soak them first they take forever to cook.
*Seasonings: Other than some dried rosemary, the only seasonings we use in this soup is salt and pepper. We also cook the soup in water instead of vegetable stock. So the end result can be quite bland unless you use enough salt and pepper. Add it to taste. However, if you are still experiencing it as fairly bland, then you likely just need to add more salt and/or pepper.
*Prep time does not include soaking the beans.
*This recipe was first published in February 2016.
- Category: Appetizer, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Sodium: 338mg
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 64.6g
- Fiber: 12.6g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: pinto bean soup, vegan bean soup