Vegan Mushroom Soup
Simple and ultra creamy vegan mushroom soup. Rich and flavorful and deliciously satisfying, this soup makes an ideal vegan appetizer.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 5 cups White Button Mushrooms (480g) Sliced
- 2 ½ cups Cremini Mushrooms (240g) Sliced
- 2 Large Portobello Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Tamari if gluten-free
- 14 ounce Can Coconut Milk (400ml) Unsweetened, Full Fat
- Sea Salt To taste
- Black Pepper To taste
- Fresh Basil Optional, for serving
Add the olive oil to a pot with the onion and garlic, dried oregano and basil and sauté until softened.
Then add the sliced mushrooms and the soy sauce, and cover the pot. Cook on medium high, covered, for around 10 minutes.
This will allow the mushrooms to release their water.
After 10 minutes, remove the lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes uncovered to allow some of the water to cook off.
Then add the coconut milk and cook for a final 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the flavors to blend properly.
Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
- Mushrooms - we used 3 kinds of mushrooms in this soup. We've also made it in the past with just white button mushrooms and portobello mushrooms, so it just depends on what's easy to get hold of. If you want to mix it up - go for it!
- Soy sauce - can be switched for tamari or a gluten free soy sauce if you want to ensure this soup is gluten-free friendly.
- Coconut milk - should be full fat, canned and unsweetened. We have also made this soup with canned coconut cream (also unsweetened) and that also works great for an ultra rich version. If you need a substitute for the coconut milk then cashew milk is a good option.
- Blending. I've made this soup in the past and blended it up using an immersion blender, but I think it's better unblended. Most soups are better blended, but in the case of this soup, it works better as it is with the creamy soup and chunky mushrooms. The mushroom flavors really mix in with the creaminess of the coconut milk and spices and it all just works so well.
- Serving. This vegan mushroom soup is delicious as an appetizer that can serve 4 but it also works great as a main course that serves 2. Serve it alongside some delicious bread for dipping. Try our vegan soda bread, it's divine dipped in this soup!
- Storing and Freezing. You can store leftover soup in the fridge in a covered container for 4-5 days. It can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop. It's also freezer friendly for 2-3 months. Allow to cool completely before freezing. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- This recipe was first published in October 2016. It has been updated with extra photos and tips but the recipe itself is exactly the same.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.1g | Protein: 8.6g | Fat: 21.5g | Saturated Fat: 14.7g | Sodium: 623mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 7.5g