This vegan gravy is rich and flavorful. It's easy to make, hearty and satisfying and just perfect over mashed potatoes.
- ¼ cup Vegan Butter (56g)
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (240ml) Canned, Full Fat, Unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock (480ml)
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Sea Salt to taste
Add the vegan butter to a saucepan and let it melt. Then add the chopped onions and garlic and fry in the butter until very soft and translucent.
Mix the flour and a little of the coconut milk together and mix it into a paste. Then add the rest of the coconut milk to the paste and whisk it in so that the flour and coconut milk is well combined and free of lumps.
Then add the flour and coconut milk mix to the saucepan along with the soy sauce and vegetable stock and whisk together.
Bring to the boil, whisking constantly and then let it boil for a few minutes until it thickens. You don't need it to get very thick, because you want it to be a nice pourable consistency.
Add some black pepper and then sea salt to taste.
Serve over mashed potatoes or over anything that needs a delicious rich gravy.
- The gravy doesn't taste like coconut at all, but if you hate coconut milk or have an allergy then you can make this with a different non-dairy milk such as soy milk or almond milk. It won't be quite as rich, but it will still be very good.
- The dark soy sauce gives this gravy it's beautiful color. However, you can use a regular soy sauce as well, but the color will be lighter.
- To make this gravy gluten-free you can try it with a gluten-free all purpose flour and a gluten-free soy sauce or tamari. I have not tested it this way but have made other sauces with gluten-free all purpose flour and it has worked perfectly.
- This recipe was first published in October 2018.
Serving: 1Serve (¼ cup) | Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 0.8g | Fat: 7.8g | Saturated Fat: 4.1g | Sodium: 257mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 1.8g