Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
These vegan rice krispie treats are the best ever. Made with vegan marshmallows for the perfect crispy, chewy and gooey classic treat.
Spray a 9x13 dish with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper so that there is overhang on either side. Set aside.
Melt vegan butter in a heavy bottomed pot on medium low heat.
Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted into a gooey mass (they may not melt exactly like regular marshmallows but they do melt).
Add the vanilla extract, then remove from the heat and add the rice krispies.
Stir until all the rice krispies are coated with the marshmallow mix.
Transfer the mix to your prepared 9x13 baking pan and spread it out with a spatula.
Take a sheet of parchment paper and put it on top of the rice krispies and use the base of a glass to smooth and flatten it down and spread it into the corners of the dish. The parchment paper is already perfectly non-stick so the base of the glass is protected from sticking to the rice krispies, and it's super easy to press down on it and smooth it down perfectly.
Remove the parchment paper and place the tray into the fridge to set.
When set, remove the rice krispies from the dish using the parchment paper overhang. Cut into squares and serve.
- Vegan marshmallows - you can use any vegan marshmallows you can get hold of. Large or small, they all work the same. Some brands may melt better than others. But even if they don't melt well, it will still work out just fine, you just might have more chunky pieces of marshmallow in your treats, not a problem at all.
- Rice Krispies - you don't have to use the name brand 'Rice Krispies' for this recipe, it's just the name of the dessert. You can use any brand of puffed rice cereal.
- Extra crispy or ooey gooey. If you prefer your rice krispie treats to be ooey gooey then use 8 cups (240g) rice krispies. If you prefer them ultra crispy then use 9 cups (270g).
- Gluten free - the name brand Rice Krispies are not certified gluten-free, so if you need this recipe to be certified gluten-free you can use a gluten free puffed rice cereal brand.
- Storing: Keep them stored in a sealed container in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days. They are very sticky so it can be helpful to store them in a container lined with parchment paper, otherwise they may stick to your container.
Serving: 1Square | Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 18mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1069IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 3mg