Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
This vegan tomato basil soup is rich and creamy and served with a drizzle of homemade basil oil. Super easy and restaurant worthy!
Tomato Basil Soup:
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 2 Large Carrots Chopped
- 2 Large Stalks Celery Chopped
- 28 ounces Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes (800g)
- 6 Large Ripe Tomatoes Chopped
- ½ cup Vegetable Stock (120ml)
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Packed cup
- 1 cup Canned Coconut Cream (240ml) Unsweetened
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper To taste
For the Basil Oil (Optional):
Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a pot and sauté until softened. Then add the oregano, dried basil, carrots, celery, canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and vegetable stock and mix together.
Bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut sugar, fresh basil and coconut cream.
Blend with an immersion blender or by transferring to your blender jug in stages and then returning to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Crush basil leaves with a mortar and pestle until you have a paste. Then mix with olive oil and whisk together. If it isn't mixing together well and is separating you can use the immersion blender quickly to blend it together nicely.
Serve the soup with a drizzle of basil oil and some crusty bread for dipping (optional).
- Coconut cream. You can also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Storing: Leftovers keep very well in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium low heat until heated through.
- Freezing: It's freezer friendly for up to 3 months.
- Nutritional information excludes basil oil.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 452mg | Potassium: 1416mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 8921IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 5mg