Vegan Cabbage Soup
This vegan cabbage soup is super healthy, hearty and extremely tasty! Packed with loads of delicious veggies and heaps of flavor.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Large Carrots Chopped
- 2 Large Stalks Celery Chopped
- 6 cups White Cabbage (540g) Chopped
- 15 ounce Can Cannellini Beans White Beans, Drained
- 28 ounces Canned Chopped Tomato (800g)
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock (960ml) or Broth
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
For Serving (Optional):
- Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Toasted Bread
Add chopped onion and olive oil to a pot and sauté until the onions are softened.
Add crushed garlic, dried oregano, dried thyme, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and sauté with the onions for a minute or so until toasted.
Add chopped carrots, celery, cabbage and white beans and toss together with the onions and spices.
Add chopped tomato and vegetable stock and mix in. Bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the veggies are soft and cooked.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled on top and fresh bread on the side for dipping.
- Cayenne pepper - gives this soup its spicy kick! It's really delicious but if you aren't a fan of spicy foods then you can reduce it or omit it entirely.
- Vegetable stock - or broth. If you use a low sodium variety then you will need to add extra salt to compensate. Just add salt to taste at the end and don't be shy with it. If the soup is bland it just needs more salt/pepper.
- Make it oil free - if you want to make this soup oil-free then you can leave out the olive oil and just sauté the onions in some vegetable stock or water.
- Storing and freezing: Keep leftovers stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove. It's also freezer friendly for 3 months. Let it cool completely before freezing. Thaw in the fridge and then reheat on the stove.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.5g | Protein: 6.3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 845mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 9.1g