Vegan Stir Fry
The BEST vegan stir fry is made with lots of fresh veggies, tofu and a sweet and savory stir fry sauce to tantalize your tastebuds!
For the Stir Fry:
- 16 ounces Extra Firm Tofu (450g) Pressed
- 3 Tbsp Sesame Oil Divided
- 2 ½ cups Sugar Snap Peas (200g)
- 4 Medium Bell Peppers Red, Yellow, Orange and Green, Seeded and Sliced
- 2 ½ cups Cremini Mushrooms (240g) Sliced
- 1 ½ cups Baby Corn (200g) Chopped
- ½ cup Spring Onions Sliced
For the Stir Fry Sauce:
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce (60ml)
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger Minced
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
Press the tofu for 30 minutes. It's ideal if you have a tofu press, but if you don't then place the tofu onto a plate with another plate on top and then place something heavy on top of that like a heavy pot. Let it press for 30 minutes to get rid of as much water as possible.
While the tofu is pressing prepare your veggies and mix up your stir fry sauce by adding all the sauce ingredients to a measuring jug and whisking together until mixed.
When the tofu has finished pressing, cut it into cubes.
Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to a wok and heat it on medium heat. When it's hot add the tofu cubes and fry them until the tofu is golden brown. Then remove the tofu from the wok.
Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the wok and add chopped sugar snap peas, bell peppers, mushrooms and baby corn and stir fry for a few minutes until the veggies are soft but still firm.
Add tofu and chopped spring onions and pour over the sauce. Stir fry for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Serve over rice, topped with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- Mix and match the veggies. Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. Other veggies that would work great in this stir fry are carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini, leafy greens, asparagus, water chestnuts or bok choy.
- Spring onions - are also known as green onions, salad onions or scallions.
- Soy sauce - can be switched for tamari to make this stir fry gluten-free.
- Make ahead: To prepare this in advance, you can press the tofu, chop the veggies and mix up the sauce in advance. Keep stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours and then make up the stir fry when you're ready.
- Storing: Leftovers keep very well in the fridge for 5 days. You can easily reheat in the microwave or by briefly stir frying it in the pan until warmed through.
- Nutritional information is for stir fry only and excludes rice.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 899mg | Potassium: 1055mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 4800IU | Vitamin C: 197mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg