Vegan Chana Masala
This vegan chana masala is so tasty! It's mildly spicy, loaded with flavor and ready in 30 minutes or less! A perfect weeknight meal.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger Minced
- 1 Green Chili Sliced
- 1 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 4 (15-ounce) Cans Chickpeas Drained, or 6 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes (800g)
- 1 cup Coconut Cream Canned, Unsweetened
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- Sea Salt To Taste
Add onion, garlic, ginger, green chili and fresh cilantro to a food processor with an S blade and process into a paste.
Add olive oil and the paste to a pot on medium heat and cook until the paste has softened. About 5 minutes.
Add chickpeas, garam masala, turmeric, cumin, ground coriander and cayenne pepper and gently toss together. Cook for a couple of minutes to lightly toast the spices.
Add crushed tomatoes and coconut cream and bring to a simmer. Then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add coconut sugar and salt and mix in.
Serve over basmati rice, topped with fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of ground black pepper, with lemon wedges on the side.
- Chickpeas - we used four 15-ounce cans of chickpeas. Once drained and rinsed this works out to around 6 cups of chickpeas. If you'd prefer to use cooked chickpeas (not canned) then just use 6 cups.
- Coconut cream - we used canned, unsweetened coconut cream. You can also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Coconut sugar - is just for flavor balance and doesn't make this dish sweet at all. You can also use light brown sugar.
- Storing: Keep leftovers stored in the fridge for 4-5 days and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Freezing: It freezes very well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
- Nutritional information excludes rice.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 513kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 1070mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 583IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 8mg