Vegan Broccoli Pasta
This vegan broccoli pasta is loaded with flavor and fresh crunchy broccoli! Serve topped with vegan parmesan for an easy, delicious dinner. Ready in 20 minutes!
- 8 ounces Penne Pasta (226g) Dry Weight
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 cups Broccoli Florets (360g)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Vegan Butter (75g)
- 4 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice Freshly Squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese Freshly Grated
- ½ cup Pasta Water (120ml) Reserved after cooking the pasta
Put your pasta on to cook according to package directions. When it's cooked, drain it and set aside ½ cup of pasta water to use later.
Add olive oil to a pot over medium heat. Add broccoli florets and salt and sauté for a minute.
Add vegan butter, crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice and ground black pepper and sauté for a few minutes until the broccoli florets are al dente (3-5 minutes).
Add the cooked pasta, grated vegan parmesan cheese and a little of the reserved pasta water and toss gently to combine.
Add more of the reserved pasta water as needed until all the pasta is lightly coated and saucy.
Serve in bowls topped with freshly grated vegan parmesan, fresh chopped parsley and a sprinkle of ground black pepper, with lemon wedges on the side.
- Pasta - you can use penne or any pasta that you have on hand.
- Vegan parmesan cheese - we used Violife brand of vegan parmesan cheese which is really delicious. You can use any vegan parmesan cheese or omit it.
- Add salt to your pasta water. Add a bit of salt to your pasta water before cooking the pasta. This is extra important because we're going to use some of the leftover pasta water in the sauce.
- Put aside ½ cup of pasta water. Salty, starchy pasta water helps emulsify your sauce. Just a few splashes is often all it takes.
- Gluten free. Simply use gluten free pasta and you're all set.
- Storing: Keep leftovers stored in the fridge in a covered container for 3-4 days. It reheats very well in the microwave.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 589mg | Potassium: 348mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1363IU | Vitamin C: 87mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg