Vegan Pumpkin Soup
This vegan pumpkin soup is creamy, rich and satisfying. Made with coconut cream and spices for a delicious appetizer. Ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil or other oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Ginger minced or finely chopped
- 1 tsp Thyme
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 9 cups Pumpkin (2.2lb/1kg) peeled and cubed
- 14 ounce Can Coconut Cream (400ml), Unsweetened
- 1 and ½ cups Vegetable Stock/Broth (360ml)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Add the coconut oil to a pot with the chopped onion, garlic and ginger and sauté.
Then add the thyme and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
Add in the coconut cream and vegetable stock and the pumpkin and bring to the boil.
Turn down the heat and simmer until the pumpkin is soft and cooked (around 10 minutes).
Use an immersion blender to blend it smooth inside the pot. If you haven't got an immersion blender, then transfer to a blender jug in stages and blend until smooth.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with some pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional).
- Coconut cream. I used coconut cream in this as I wanted a richer soup, but canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk would also work well.
- Prep time. The prep time mentioned above assumes you have ready peeled and cubed pumpkin. If you have to do that from scratch, it will of course take longer.
- Storing: Leftover soup keeps extremely well in the fridge for 4-5 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
- Freezing: It's also freezer friendly for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stovetop. If any separation occurs just re-blend it with your immersion blender.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.6g | Protein: 4.5g | Fat: 24.9g | Saturated Fat: 20.4g | Sodium: 360mg | Fiber: 8.4g | Sugar: 10.4g