Vegan Tomato Soup
This vegan tomato soup is rich, creamy and the best tomato soup you've ever tasted. It's also hearty and satisfying and so easy to make.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Finely Chopped
- 2 Medium Stalks Celery Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- ⅛ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes or Cayenne Pepper
- 28 ounces Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes (800g)
- 6 Medium Fresh Tomatoes Chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh Parsley Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock (240ml) or Broth
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (240ml) Canned, Full Fat, Unsweetened
- Sea Salt To Taste
- Ground Black Pepper To Taste
Add olive oil, chopped onions and chopped celery to a pot and sauté until the onions and celery are soft.
Add crushed garlic, oregano, dried basil and red pepper flakes and sauté for a minute until the garlic is fragrant.
Add canned whole peeled tomatoes, fresh chopped tomatoes, fresh chopped parsley, light brown sugar and vegetable stock and stir in.
Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and gently simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick or burn.
After 30 minutes, turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot. If you don't have an immersion blender then let the soup cool before transferring it in stages to your blender jug. When it's all blended return it to the pot.
Add coconut milk and stir in. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley and ground black pepper, with some bread on the side for dipping.
- Storing: Leftovers keep very well in the fridge for 4-5 days and can be reheated in the microwave or on the stove.
- Freezing: This soup is also freezer friendly for up to 3 months if you'd like to freeze it. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat as usual.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 362mg | Potassium: 686mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1499IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3mg