This marinated tofu is super simple and perfect for a quick and easy dinner. It's satisfying and high in protein and will turn you into a massive tofu fan!
- 16 ounces Extra Firm Tofu (450g)
For the Tofu Marinade:
- 2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce or sub for tamari if gluten-free
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil plus more for frying
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
For Serving (Optional):
- Chives Chopped
- Basmati Rice
Press the tofu for 20 minutes, ideally using a tofu press, but if you don't have a tofu press then stand the tofu on a plate with another plate on top of it and then place something heavy on top, like a heavy pot.
Once the tofu is pressed cut it into cubes.
Mix all the ingredients for the tofu marinade except the cornstarch together and pour over the tofu. Turn over all the blocks of tofu so they have marinade on both sides. Place into the fridge and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
Add a little sesame oil to a frying pan and then add the tofu, leaving the tofu marinade sauce behind (don't throw it out, you're still going to use it). Fry the tofu until golden brown.
Mix the leftover marinade sauce with the tsp of cornstarch and then pour over the tofu in the frying pan. Fry until the sauce thickens.
Serve over basmati rice (optional) with some chopped chives for garnish.
- If you're leaving the tofu in the marinade sauce for longer than 30 minutes then definitely make more sauce as the tofu will soak up more of it.
- Use a gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari if you need this meal to be entirely gluten-free.
- Prep time includes pressing the tofu and leaving it to marinade for 30 minutes, hands on prep time is only around 10 minutes.
- Nutritional information is for tofu only and does not include rice.
- Recipe adapted from our Tofu Stir-Fry.
- This recipe was first published in September 2018.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.7g | Protein: 14.7g | Fat: 11.5g | Saturated Fat: 1.9g | Sodium: 616mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 5g