This creamy and delicious cashew cream is great with absolutely everything! It's the perfect substitute for dairy cream and can be used in a variety of dishes.
Servings: 1 cup
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (150g)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice Optional
- ½ cup Water (120ml)
- ½ tsp Salt Optional
Add the cashews, lemon juice (if using) water and salt (if using) to the blender jug and blend until smooth.
The basic cream recipe is really just the cashews and water. If you want a thinner cream then use up to a ¼ cup more water. The lemon juice and salt add a tang and a little savory flavor, though it's mild. It makes this stand out more as a standalone recipe ready to use as is. If you are really wanting just the blank slate recipe to use in another recipe or to closely match unflavored dairy cream, then start with just the cashews and water only.
- You don't have to soak the cashews first unless you have a weaker model blender. If you do want/need to soak them then you can place them in a bowl, pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave to soak for 15 minutes, then drain and rinse and continue with the recipe.
- If you want a thinner cream you can add more water for a thinner consistency. The consistency in this recipe as written, is for a fairly thick cream which is perfect to dollop on top of various dishes or serve as a sauce with pasta.
- The lemon juice adds a slight tang to this, which I love. But if you are wanting a more bland cream to be used in a recipe, you can omit the lemon juice for more of a 'blank slate' cream that is closer to a plain dairy cream.
- Optional additions to this recipe could be: crushed garlic, apple cider vinegar (for more of a sour cream), maple syrup for a sweeter cream, nutritional yeast (for cheesy flavor), hot sauce for spiciness, the options are endless!
- This recipe was first published in April 2018. It has been updated with extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
Serving: 1Serve (¼ cup) | Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.7g | Protein: 6.8g | Fat: 16.4g | Saturated Fat: 2.9g | Sodium: 299mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 2.3g