Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute
This vegan heavy cream substitute is so rich and creamy you won't miss the dairy at all! Perfect for stirring into coffee, soups or curries.
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (150g)
- 1 ¼ cups Unsweetened Almond Milk (300ml) or Water
Add your cashews to a bowl. Pour over boiling hot water from the kettle until the cashews are totally submerged. Leave them to soak for 15 minutes. Then drain and rinse them.
Add them to your blender along with almond milk (or water) and blend until very smooth. If you want a thinner consistency add more almond milk (or water) and blend again.
And your heavy cream substitute is ready for use!
- Raw cashews - the cashews must be raw and plain so that they create that perfect neutral creamy flavor.
- Almond milk - or plain water both work great. We loved the pairing of almond milk with this as it really created a beautifully neutral flavor. However, you can also pair this with other non-dairy milks OR just plain water. Just keep in mind that certain non-dairy milks (like soy for example) may create an overall flavor that is less neutral.
- Substitutes for cashews:
- Sunflower seeds: Shelled sunflower seeds can also work. Soak them the same way you would soak the cashews.
- Blanched or slivered almonds: Soak them for a minimum of 1 hour in boiling hot water and use a high speed blender to blend it super smooth.
- Whipped cream - unfortunately this will NOT work for making whipped cream. Check out our tutorial for vegan whipped cream (made from coconut cream).
- Storing: Store it in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to 1 week. Give it a stir before using.
- Freezing: It is also freezer friendly for up to three months. It can look like it's curdled as it thaws, but it's actually fine! Just give it a quick blend in the blender again and it's good to go.
Serving: 2Tablespoons | Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg