It was around 2006 and Jaye and I had only been together a couple of years.
He had this job as an operations manager for a group of nightclubs and restaurants, and part of his salary was an ‘entertainment allowance’ which basically meant we could act like high flyers at any of the restaurants and clubs, as it was all complimetary.
I can tell you – Alison of 10 years ago was pretty chuffed with this!
One of the restaurants was really awesome, and we went there a lot, and usually ordered the same thing which was mushroom risotto!
Back then, we were new vegans or at least mostly vegans, and we used to just tell them to hold the cheese, which meant they just didn’t put any on top.
It was only much later that we twigged on to the fact that there was probably cheese IN it, not just ON TOP of it that could easily be left off. But we weren’t quite that wise then.
Anyway….that was when I fell in love with mushroom risotto.
So I knew I had to make a batch of mushroom risotto for the blog, and I can tell you, this version doesn’t miss the cheese at all!
When I first made this recipe, I used white wine, which a lot of risotto recipes call for.
But….while it tasted very good, I had kind of a sour stomach afterwards, and I must admit I kind of dreamt of wine all night and not in a good way, like in a stomach churning, ‘the wine is off’ kind of way.
Now…my wine wasn’t off, so I concluded that I just don’t like wine much in cooking. Personal preference. Jaye also didn’t enjoy the wine and his stomach also felt a little strange.
So I made it again – sans wine this time and it had ALL the flavor with none of the sour stomach after-effects. MUCH better.
If you love to cook with wine though, then you can add 1/2 cup of wine to this same recipe. You add it in after the rice, and let it cook off and absorb with the rice before you add in the stock.
This vegan mushroom risotto is creamy and rich, tasting as if there may actually BE cream in it, when of course there is none.
The mushroom flavor cooks in so well with the risotto rice, and it makes a perfect savory entree.
So let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a comment!
If you make it, don’t forget to tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can see it too! Thanks!
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Packs (18oz/500g) Brown Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1.5 cups (300g) Risotto (Arborio) Rice
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Prepare the 6 cups vegetable stock/broth and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pot, add the onion and saute on medium high for a couple of minutes.
- Then add in the sliced mushrooms, cover the pot and cook for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms have released some of their water.
- Then remove the lid and add the rice and saute it with the onions and mushrooms.
- Then add 3 cups of vegetable stock/broth, stir well and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then add 1.5 cups vegetable stock/broth, stir well again and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then add the last 1.5 cups of vegetable stock/broth, stir well again and cover and simmer for a final 5-10 minutes.
- It's ready when all the stock/broth has been mostly absorbed by the rice.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the 2 Tbsp of vegan butter.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with chopped parsley and possibly some vegan parmesan too.