It’s so easy to make your own vegan parmesan cheese. And it’s so tasty you’ll want to sprinkle it on everything! Simple 4 ingredient recipe ready in 5 minutes.
Yep, you’ll definitely want to sprinkle this on everything.
And I mean everything.
We sprinkle it on baked potatoes, on salads, on roasted veggies, on the no-cheese thin crust pizza take-outs we buy, on pasta dishes (of course) and whatever else we can think of.
If it’s a savory dish then chances are it’ll be even more delicious with a sprinkle of this on top.
So what is Vegan Parmesan?
Well, you can buy vegan parmesan that you can grate over things and that is delicious. But this homemade version is made from cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and sea salt. The nutritional yeast, along with the garlic powder and salt combine to make those cashews really taste cheesy! It’s kind of amazing really.
It’s not something that will melt or anything like that, but it’s wonderful as a sprinkle and it tastes wonderfully cheesy.
How To Make It
All you need to make your own vegan parmesan is a food processor. You simply put in the S blade, add in your cashews, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder and pulse it until it’s super fine like you see in the photos.
Pulse, don’t blend.
You don’t just want to run the food processor on this one because, ya know, cashews when processed for too long can start to turn into cashew butter, which you definitely don’t want here.
So pulse it. Don’t set it and forget it.
Does It Need To Be Refrigerated?
No it doesn’t. You can keep it in a sealed container at room temperature for a few (3-4) weeks. However, you also can keep it in the fridge if you like. As long as it’s in a sealed container, either/or is fine.
What can I use instead of Cashews?
If you have a cashew allergy you can make this with walnuts. It also works amazingly well! Use walnuts in the same quantity as the cashews and you have a great alternate version of this vegan parmesan.
More Vegan Cheese!
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Vegan Ricotta
- Vegan Feta
- Vegan Cottage Cheese
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Add the ingredients to the food processor and pulse it on the S blade until it reaches a fine consistency.
- Keep it in a sealable jar in the refrigerator where it will keep for weeks!
- Sprinkle it on pastas, pizzas, casseroles, salads and anywhere else you can possibly think of!
- If you have a cashew allergy you can also make this with walnuts. Just use walnuts in the same quantity (1 cup).
- Keep it stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge. It will last for a few (3-4) weeks.
- This recipe was first published in January 2016 and has now been updated with new photos and text.