High protein and super eggy tofu scramble! This hearty and satisfying vegan breakfast is the closest thing to scrambled eggs in taste without actually being scrambled eggs! Perfect for vegans who miss eggs and those who just want a hearty healthy breakfast.
This vegan tofu scramble is super eggy you guys, without having any trace of actual eggs in it!
I wanted to make a tofu scramble that was really really the most like an egg scramble that I could make it.
And this is it!
It’s high in protein and packed with nutrition, and will power you up for the day!
If you’ve been missing the taste of eggs from your vegan diet, give this a try, it just might please your palate.
Although, fair warning, it’s delicious and ‘eggy’ but it ain’t eggs, let’s be real, I’m definitely not making any claims like ‘you won’t know the difference’. Yes, you’ll know the difference. But you might like this even more.
How To Make Vegan Tofu Scramble
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Start off with mashing firm tofu with a fork, leaving some nice chunks.
- Then get started on your ‘egg’ sauce.
- Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, dijon mustard, garlic powder, black salt (see more about this magic ingredient below) and onion powder to a bowl.
- Add soy milk.
- Whisk it up so that you have a nice sauce.
- Melt vegan butter in a frying pan and then add the mashed tofu and fry it until lightly browned, being careful not to break it up too much when you move it around the frying pan.
- Then you add your ‘egg’ sauce and fold it in with your tofu. Fry it up together until you achieve a nice consistency.
TIP: Don’t cook it too long and dry it out, you want it to have that slightly soft scrambled egg sort of feeling to it.
Black Salt aka Kala Namak
Black salt is an ingredient that I only recently discovered. Also known by its fancy name: kala namak.
This fancy salt is not actually black in color at all, so don’t be fooled, but what it’s got going for it in abundance is eggy flavor! I’m not even kidding.
In fact if you just put some on your finger and lick it off you might be a bit horrified because it’s like egg flavor times 100. It’s super strong!
So a little goes a long way. We use ¼ teaspoon in this recipe and find it’s enough. You might want to add a bit more once you’re used to it – if you like it – but start slow.
If you don’t have any black salt on hand, you can switch it for regular salt, but I highly recommend getting some black salt and giving it a try.
This tofu scramble is best served hot, topped with some chopped chives, with or without toast and with some sliced avocado and fried tomato on the side. Or serve it alongside avocado toast. It’s also really delicious with homemade salsa or pico de gallo.
Keep leftovers stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a hot frying pan.
More Delicious Savory Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Super Eggy Tofu Scramble
- Black Pepper
- Chopped Chives
- Fried Tomatoes
- Sliced Avocado
- Mash the tofu with a fork but leave some nice big chunks.
- Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, dijon mustard, garlic powder, black salt and onion powder to a bowl. Then add the soy milk and whisk it in so you have a nice sauce.
- Add the vegan butter to a frying pan and heat until hot. Add the tofu and fry it until lightly browned, being careful not to break it up too much when moving it around the pan.
- Add the sauce and fold it in. Fry it until you’ve achieved desired consistency, the tofu will absorb the sauce so you can have it as wet or as dry as you like.
- Top with some black pepper and chopped chives and serve with some fried tomatoes and sliced avocado.
- You can switch the black salt for regular salt if you don’t want to use it/can’t get hold of it but I do recommend you get some and try it! You just won’t believe the eggy flavor it brings!
- Nutritional estimate is based on the tofu scramble only, without any extras for serving like fried tomato or sliced avocado.