This tofu and eggplant dish is something that Jaye started whipping up recently. And it rapidly became my favorite thing.
But here’s the thing when it comes to Jaye – he is a great cook, but he likes doing everything very adventurously, so basically, once he is finished with the dish, he barely remembers what he put in it!
And if you ask him to make it again, he makes something completely different, cos he can’t remember at all what he did the first time!
So the moment I tasted this dish, I knew we had to lock down this recipe pronto! So after many other attempts – that also tasted great but weren’t the same as that first time – he finally got it exactly the same as that first time, which was truly perfect. Creamy and delicious!
And now he’s under strict instructions to be more precise with remembering what he does when he’s cooking, we do run a recipe blog after all.
I have been rather a fan of eating this meal for lunch. Because, if we have it for lunch then it’s for dinner as well, because it makes a nice size portion so can stretch to two meals if it’s just serving two.
The hoisin sauce gives it a perfect sweetness that pairs wonderfully with the saltiness of the soy sauce and the creaminess of the tahini, and the textures of mushrooms, eggplant and tofu combine perfectly.
You will love these tofu and eggplant bowls, they are:
- Ideal for dinner!
Serve with or without rice (I vote with!) for a very satisfying savory plant based entree.
So what do you think of these tofu and eggplant bowls? Trying them soon? Let us know in the comments. And if you have any questions, fire away. Rate the recipe as well when you’ve tried it! That’s so helpful.
For more awesome vegan dinner recipes, check out these great options:
- Easy Thai Pumpkin Curry
- Easy Vegan Falafel
- Quinoa Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing
- Butternut Squash Curry Bowls
- Baked Tofu and Vegetable Casserole with Quinoa
Sign up to our email list to get a great recipe ebook containing 10 awesome recipes, and to stay updated with all our latest recipes!Print
Hearty and satisfying tofu and eggplant bowls, veggie-packed, vegan, gluten-free and ideal for a healthy plant-based dinner.
- Add the chopped onion, crushed garlic and sesame oil to a pot and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add the cubed tofu and dried basil and sauté gently for a minute or so.
- Then add in the chopped eggplant and mushrooms, soy sauce and hoisin sauce and stir in.
- Reduce heat slightly, cover pot and leave to simmer (stirring occasionally) until the veggies are soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the tahini.
- Serve with rice.
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce or use tamari if you want to make this meal entirely gluten-free.
* Check hoisin sauce label for vegan friendliness, not all brands are vegan.
*Nutritional information does not include rice.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 16.2g
- Sodium: 497mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 29.8g
- Fiber: 10.9g
- Protein: 12.8g