I have to admit, I don’t really understand when people say they don’t like tofu. I DO understand that sometimes tofu isn’t cooked up in a delicious way but here’s the thing: tofu doesn’t really taste like anything by itself, it has a firm chewy texture and the ability to wonderfully absorb flavors added to it.
So when it’s cooked up in a flavorful way, it can be the most delicious thing ever.
This vegan tofu stir fry has lots of veggies and a fabulous sauce that makes that tofu come alive I tell you! If you haven’t been a tofu fan up to now, you might well change your mind right about now. And for tofu fans, well you already know what I’m talking about and this tofu dish will be one to add to the repertoire of tofu faves!
We used firm tofu and pressed it for 15 minutes using our super nifty little Tofu Press. I highly recommend you get one if you are a regular with the tofu.
If you don’t have a tofu press, you can press your tofu by stacking it on a plate, with another plate on top and then putting something heavy on top of that, like a heavy pot. The object is to get as much excess water out of the tofu in that 15 minutes as possible, so it’s as firm as it can be.
After pressing the tofu you chop it up into neat little blocks and then pan fry with some olive oil until nicely browned.
Add the chopped vegetables and then the spices, some soy sauce, hoisin sauce and maple syrup (a dream combination!) and fry until the tofu and veggies are nice and sticky and the vegetables are softened.
Serve with some basmati rice or if you want to make it a little lighter then serve with some cauliflower rice. Either way it’s totally divine!
You will love this vegan tofu stir fry! It is:
- Quick and Easy
- High in Protein
This makes a perfect quick and easy weeknight meal that will totally satisfy!
So what do you think of this vegan tofu stir fry? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thank you!
For more delicious vegan dinners, check out these great recipes:
Sign up to our email list for a fabulous vegan dinner recipes ebook (10 great recipes) and to stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.
Quick and easy veggie-packed vegan tofu stir fry. This flavorful and satisfying meal is high in protein and perfect for a weeknight plant based dinner served with basmati rice or cauliflower rice. Gluten-Free.
- 16oz (~450g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce*
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce*
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3.5oz (100g) Baby Corn (about 8–10 pieces, chopped)
- 1 Carrot (Chopped)
- 1 Spring Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (Chopped)
For Serving (Optional):
- Fresh Lime
- Fresh Basil
- Sliced Cucumber
- Press the tofu for 15 minutes ideally using a tofu press, or by placing the tofu onto a plate, with another plate on top of it and then stacking something heavy on top, like a heavy pot. The object is to press as much water out of the tofu as possible, leaving it as firm as possible.
- While the tofu is pressing, prepare your vegetables by chopping the baby corn, the carrot, spring onion and green bell pepper.
- Slice the pressed tofu into cubes and then add to a frying pan with the olive oil and fry, gently turning over the tofu until it’s nicely browned.
- Add in all the chopped vegetables and fry for a minute, then add in all the spices, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and maple syrup. Keep frying and gently moving the vegetables and tofu around in the pan until the vegetables are slightly softened (but still a little crispy) and the veggies and tofu are nice and sticky from the sauce.
- Serve with basmati rice or cauliflower rice, fresh basil, sliced cucumber and fresh lime.
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce if you want this meal to be gluten-free.
*Check the hoisin sauce for vegan friendliness as not all brands are vegan, and choose a gluten-free version if you want this meal to be gluten-free.
*Nutritional information is for the tofu stir fry only and does not include rice.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 7.9g
- Sodium: 478mg
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 15.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 15.5g
Keywords: vegan tofu stir fry, tofu stir fry