So…I decided on making a vegan vanilla sheet cake because I wanted to make a vegan tiramisu, and after trying various methods for making the sponge layer parts for the tiramisu a sheet cake seemed like the smartest way to go about it.
And then the sheet cake came out so well that I was like: well I have to do the sheet cake recipe for the blog!
And the tiramisu? Well, that also came out great and the recipe is on its way!
I made maybe an odd choice for the frosting. I did a little insta-story of frosting one of the test versions of the cake, with a simple white vanilla frosting, and when I viewed the little video, it just looked a bit…. boring.
So on the day of the photo shoot for this, I suddenly decided on a change, not a flavor change, just a color change! But the only colors I had were green and pink. Maybe pink would’ve been better? I dunno. All I know is that green was calling to me on the day so green it was!
The green frosting with some sprinkles is pretty cute I think, and has the kids birthday party vibes. Well, it’s more those vibes than adult office party vibes anyway!
But decorate however you like, and color the frosting (or don’t) however you like. The main attraction is the cake itself!
And one of the great things about a sheet cake is that it feeds a crowd. Cutting quite generous slices, this cake gets at least 15 slices. So that’s definitely more than the average layer cake.
I used a half sheet pan and my half sheet is 10×15, yours might be 11×15, that’s fine! You can even use a 9×13 quarter sheet pan, you will just have to bake it longer.
You will love this gorgeous vegan vanilla sheet cake, it is:
Keep it covered at room temperature where it will stay fresh for a couple of days or covered in the fridge where it will stay good for up to a week, but fresh is best!
So what do you think of this vegan vanilla sheet cake? Going to give it a try? Let us know in the comments! And please rate the recipe as this really helps us! Thank you!
For more sheet cake goodness, check out our chocolate sheet cake and our vegan banana sheet cake. The vegan vanilla layer cake that this recipe is based on is definitely also a winner, and if you love all things vanilla, then you’ll love our vegan vanilla cupcakes too.
While you’re here, sign up to our email list as well, you’ll get an awesome free recipe ebook, and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipe posts.Print
Light, fluffy and deliciously spongey vanilla sheet cake with a velvety frosting and lots of sprinkles! This is the perfect cake to feed a crowd with at least 15 serves, it’s fabulously good and it’s vegan too!
For the Vanilla Sheet Cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
For the Frosting:
- 4 and 1/2 cups (540g) Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 3 and 1/2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Few drops Green (or other color) Food Coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray a 10×15 half sheet baking sheet with non-stick spray and then lightly flour it. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the soy milk, vanilla, oil and vinegar.
- Use a hand whisk to mix in. Be careful not to overmix the batter, just mix until all the large lumps are gone, tiny lumps are fine.
- Pour the batter out into your prepared half sheet baking pan.
- Spread the batter with the back of a spoon so that it reaches the corners of the baking sheet and is evenly distributed across it.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, soy milk, vanilla, and food coloring (if using) into the bowl of an electric mixer. Start at slow speed and gradually increase speed until your frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add more soy milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Frost the cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles.
- Cut into squares and serve.
*Adapted from our Vegan Vanilla Cake.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 15)
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 56g
- Sodium: 323mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 74.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.1g