Making a vegan cheese sauce really couldn’t be easier.
You start off with a basic vegan white sauce – also called Bechamel Sauce (sounds so fancy!).
And then with just a few added extras, it magically turns into cheese sauce!
There are just 3 basic ingredients – oil, flour and plant-based milk (I used soy milk) to make your basic white sauce.
To that you add some salt, black pepper, mustard (great for adding a cheesy flavor don’t even ask me why – I have no idea – but really it works!) and some nutritional yeast.
If you really want to go crazy, you can even add in some grated vegan cheese for extra cheesiness and you have the most divine vegan cheese sauce.
But let me be clear – this isn’t the kind of cheese sauce you’re going to use on a pizza.
Have you had a white sauce (bechamel) before? It’s exactly like that, just flavored to be cheesy!
It’s what you want when you want a cheesy version of a white sauce to use in your lasagna!
Let us know what you think of this recipe by leaving a comment and a rating! Thank you!
And sign up to our email list while you’re here, you’ll get a great (and free!) recipe ebook and you’ll be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog!Print
Creamy and super cheesy vegan cheese sauce recipe. Use it wherever a cheese sauce is required. Simple, delicious and remarkably close to the ‘real thing’.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Grated Vegan Cheese (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium high.
- When the oil begins to heat up, sift the flour and add to the oil, stirring briskly all the time.
- Fry the flour in the oil for a bit, stirring vigorously, and then add in all the soy milk at once. Stir vigorously.
- Continue to stir until the sauce begins to thicken.
- You will usually reach the right thickness a few minutes after the sauce has reached boiling point.
- When it has reached the desired thickness remove from the heat (bear in mind that it will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Stir in the mustard, nutritional yeast and add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
*Adapted from my basic vegan white sauce recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup (~1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 5.4g