So your basic vegan white sauce has a lot of uses. It’s the basic recipe that with a few additions can turn into a vegan cheese sauce.
Also called a bechamel sauce, this is the white sauce you can use in lasagnas and other dishes that require a white sauce.
It’s usually made with butter, flour and dairy milk. Sometimes oil, flour and dairy milk.
Since this is the vegan version, of course the dairy milk is replaced with plant based milk. Too easy really!
In this case I used soy milk but any plant based milk of your choice will do the trick.
I tried a version using vegan butter and the butter flavor was pretty strong.
I wasn’t a huge fan but I liked it more than Jaye who thought it was disgusting. He was all like: ‘aarrgggg butter sauce, I just ate a heap of butter in a sauce!’
Well, needless to say, he didn’t! It was just a little butter in a lot of sauce, but whatevs.
So the next time I made it with olive oil and I thought it tasted heaps better, and Jaye agreed.
In fact this one was so delicious that we’ve made it a few times since.
And I used it in a lasagna dish that came out beautifully.
I really think you are going to fall in love with this vegan white sauce! It is:
This creamy dreamy white sauce is like a blank canvas that you can add any flavorings to that you choose, like garlic or herbs or whatever you desire!
The basic recipe is just 3 ingredients, and after that it’s up to you how you flavor it.
We’ve just gone with some sea salt and black pepper, but fresh herbs would be great, dried herbs, garlic spice, chilli, mustard, whatever you’re in the mood for.
So let us know what you think of this recipe by leaving a comment and rating it too please as that is SO super helpful.
And for some other great sauces, check out these great ideas:
And while you’re here, sign up to our email list, you’ll get an awesome (free) recipe ebook, and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipes too!Print
3-ingredient vegan white sauce recipe. Also called bechamel sauce, this simple sauce is creamy, wholesome and delicious and can be used whenever you need a white sauce.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
Spices to taste:
- Add the oil to a pot on the stove and heat it at medium to high heat.
- As the oil heats, sift the flour and add to the pan stirring vigorously.
- Fry the flour in the oil for a bit, stirring vigorously, don’t allow it to burn, turn down your heat if it starts to stick at any point.
- Add the soy milk or other non-dairy milk and continue to stir and allow the sauce to gradually thicken.
- You will usually get to the right thickness after it has reached boiling point and boiled for a few minutes.
- When you’ve reached the desired thickness (keep in mind that the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools), remove from the heat and add any spices you choose, such as some salt and black pepper or garlic spice or whatever you choose.
*If you double this recipe, then just a note that the way to double it is that the flour must always be one less than the oil. So doubling this recipe would mean you use 6 Tbsp of olive oil and 5 Tbsp of flour.
- Serving Size: 1/2 Cup (~1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 98mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 6.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.9g