I’ve long been a fan of gingersnap cookies. I love crunchy cookies, and the level of crunch these ginger cookies need to have is quite apparent from the name! They need to have some snap!
Ever since I made my vegan gingerbread men I’ve been planning to make some vegan gingersnap cookies.
However, the first time I made them was not the huge success I thought it would be.
Basically, they came out far too soft and chewy. Now, soft and chewy is great when it comes to some cookies, like my soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies, but it wasn’t going to cut it for these.
However, there is just enough chewiness in there to keep everyone happy. Those who want a bit of soft and chewy and those who want some epic snap! Everyone will be happy!
I did something here that I haven’t done with cookies before and that was to bake them in two batches. Usually I just squash them onto one baking tray even though they usually tend to make very good friends with each other while baking.
But that doesn’t usually bode well for my aesthetics! I wanted perfectly round cookies that didn’t have to be separated from their friends, so for that I needed to space them out more and for that I needed to bake them in two batches.
Since these only take 12 minutes, doing them in two batches was not an issue.
Also I made the cookies quite small, so ended up with 44 of them! Was rather pleased indeed!
Just a note though that IF you make your cookies quite large, then you’ll need to bake them for longer to get the right amount of ‘snap’.
If you’re a fan of gingersnap cookies, then you’ll love these. They are:
- Fabulously crunchy
- Packed with ginger and cinnamon flavor
- Brown sugar sweetened
- Perfectly balanced between sweetness and spice
Enjoy them as a dessert or as a snack or teatime treat.
So let me know what you think of these vegan gingersnap cookies in the comments below. If you have any questions fire away.
And if you make this recipe rate it and let us know how it turned out. Tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so that I definitely don’t miss out on seeing them. I love seeing what you’re baking out there!
For more great cookie recipes check out:
And do sign up to our mailing list to receive a fabulous free ebook containing 10 awesome recipes! You’ll also stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.Print
Super crunchy vegan gingersnap cookies. These brown sugar sweetened vegan cookies are packed with ginger and cinnamon flavor and perfectly balanced between sweetness and spice!
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (75g) Unsulphured Molasses
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2-3 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk
- 1/4 cup (50g) White Sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cream the vegan butter and brown sugar together and then add the molasses and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir in by hand until crumbly.
- Add the 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk and mix. You should get a very thick cookie dough. However, if you still have crumbles and it’s not yet ‘sticking together’ then add another Tbsp non-dairy milk. Only do this if you really need it though.
- Break off roughly tablespoon sized pieces and roll into balls and then roll the balls in white sugar. If you tend to make larger cookies, then you’ll need to bake them for a few minutes longer (around 15 minutes) to get them nice and crunchy.
- Place the balls onto a parchment lined baking tray and press down with a fork.
- You might want to do these in two batches so that your cookies are nicely spaced out on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. If you want more soft and chewy then bake for 10 minutes, if you want more snap/crunch then bake for 12 minutes. If your cookies are larger in size then bake for up to 15 minutes.
- The cookies will be soft when they come out the oven. Allow to cool completely as that is when they will firm up and become crunchy.
Adapted from my Vegan Gingerbread Cookies.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 53
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 11.4g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 0.6g