This vegan onion dip is total caramelized perfection!
It’s also a total breeze to throw together and this plus chips will send you straight to snack heaven! And let’s be real, everyone wants to go to snack heaven.
The secret to this onion dip is enough onions, well duh! But yes the first time we tried it we only used 1 onion chopped up, and we used a higher proportion of cashew nuts, it was definitely tasty, but was more like an onion flavored cashew dip than an onion dip.
So we had to remedy that situation and did so by doubling the onion, so.. two onions and we reduced the cashew nuts, added in some vegan mayo and that was the magic formula!
The onions are beautifully smoky and perfectly caramelized by cooking with some garlic and rosemary in olive oil until soft and then having some paprika, liquid smoke, maple syrup and soy sauce added and that salty and sweet spicy blend caramelizes the onions to absolute perfection.
When you blend up your onions with the rest of the ingredients (cashews, a little water, vegan mayo and some lemon juice) keep roughly 1/3 of the onions behind, so you can stir those in afterwards so that you have some texture to your dip, this adds an extra layer of deliciousness to your dip.
You will love this delicious vegan onion dip, it is:
Serve with lots of chips for a seriously enjoyable snack time! It does keep well in the fridge (covered) for around 3-4 days, some separation may occur, just stir it up again and enjoy.
What do you think of this vegan onion dip? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too!
For more delicious dips, check out these great options:
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Creamy Avocado Hummus
- Baba Ganoush
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Sundried Tomato Cashew Cheese
Sign up to our email list for a fabulous recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes (entirely free) and to stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog!
Smoky, caramelized vegan onion dip! This fabulously creamy, textured dip is super easy to make, rich in flavor and simply divine with chips!
- Add the onions, garlic and rosemary to a pan with the olive oil and fry until softened. Then add the paprika, liquid smoke, maple syrup and soy sauce and continue to fry until the onions are golden brown, sticky and fragrant.
- Add roughly two thirds of the cooked onions to the blender jug along with the cashews, vegan mayonnaise, water and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish. Stir in the remaining cooked onions, reserving a few pieces for decorating the top.
- Serve with chips!
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce or tamari if you want to make this dip gluten-free.
- Category: Dip, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 9.9g
- Sodium: 277mg
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 2.7g
Keywords: vegan onion dip, onion dip