Weirdly enough I’ve never really been much of a donut person.
Unless you’re talking about those fried jam donuts I ate as a child. The ones with the jam in the middle. Oh my those were messy but good!
But as an adult I have never really eaten them. I think maybe it’s because I didn’t see vegan versions around much and thought they would be quite hard to make. Well, not so!
This recipe for baked vegan donuts is ridiculously easy. It’s only 10 ingredients and only bakes for around 15 minutes. It’s a breeze!
Top with melted vegan chocolate and sprinkles and you’ll be a very happy chappie.
You definitely want a donut tray for this one, I got the full size one. There are the trays for mini donuts too, and I imagine that would work fine, you would just have more of them, and probably could bake them for a shorter time as well.
You basically want them to be lightly browned and for a toothpick inserted into them to come out clean, then you know they’re cooked.
Remove them from the donut tray and allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before dipping in melted chocolate and sprinkles.
While fried donuts are great of course, what’s nice about these is that they’re much lighter. So they’re perfect to have as a snack that you can enjoy with a cup of tea.
Keep them in the fridge – or the chocolate will melt – and they’ll last for a few days and up to a week.
These fabulous vegan donuts are so good, I hope you’ll love them as much as we did, they are:
- Perfectly sweet
- Covered in chocolate and sprinkles
- Perfect for dessert or a snack
- Quick and easy to make!
So what do you think of these baked vegan donuts? Let me know in the comments! And if you make them, pop back to rate this recipe and let me know how they turned out.
If you happen to take any pics tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can see what you’re cooking up out there!
And if you haven’t already, subscribe to our mailing list for a free ebook with 10 gorgeous high-raw recipes, and to stay in touch and get all our latest recipes!
- 1.5 cups (190g) All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup (150g) Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Sprinkle of Nutmeg
- ¾ cup (180ml) Soy Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 7 oz (200g) Vegan Dark Chocolate
- Vegan Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix together.
- Add the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk), apple cider vinegar, vanilla, applesauce and melted coconut oil and whisk in, removing any large lumps.
- Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray and using a spoon distribute the batter evenly.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
- They should be lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before doing the chocolate topping.
- When completely cool, melt the chocolate either over a double boiler or in a microwave by breaking up the chocolate into pieces and placing in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second intervals taking out to stir each time until completely melted.
- Dip the top of each donut in the melted chocolate and then immediately place onto a parchment lined baking tray and add sprinkles right away.
- When all the donuts are done, move the tray into the fridge for the chocolate topping to set.