A cake that’s been quite a hit on this site is our vegan carrot cake with lemon buttercream frosting.
And ever since putting up that recipe, I knew I wanted to try a gluten-free version. But when I got around to making it I just didn’t feel like making a cake, I just wanted cupcakes!
So these gluten-free carrot cake cupcakes were the result.
I wasn’t sure what to do about the frosting – I had a bunch of ideas, but in the end settled with a cashew cream frosting that worked extremely well.
Cupcakes are always fun to make and these were no exception. Easy and super fun.
Even though this is a dessert, there still manages to be a wholesome vibe to these cupcakes. They’re almost like delicious little carrot cake muffins.
The cashew cream frosting is not the kind of thing that you heap on liberally, there’s no piping bag required, because you don’t put on that much.
It’s very very rich. Well, it is nut-based after all!
So you don’t need all that much spread on top of each cupcake. Crushed walnuts make the perfect topping as there’s just something about walnuts and carrot cake that just go so well together.
These gluten-free carrot cake cupcakes are simply fabulous, they are:
- Light and fluffy
- Perfectly moist
- Topped with cashew cream goodness
These are ideal to have as a snack anytime, for dessert or make them for a special occasion!
I’d love to know what you think of these gluten-free carrot cake cupcakes! Let me know in the comments.
Made them already? Awesome! Let me know how they turned out!
Any pics – tag them #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can admire them!
Thanks a million!Print
Light fluffy and wholesome gluten-free carrot cake cupcakes with cashew cream frosting! These irresistible cupcakes are vegan, perfectly moist, and ideal for snacks or dessert.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (272g) Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1.25 tsp Baking Powder
- 1.25 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 9 oz (250g) Grated Carrot
- 2 Flax Eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegetable Oil (I used olive)
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- For the Cashew Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashews (soaked for 1 hour in hot water)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 3 Tbsp Date Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- For Decoration:
- Crushed Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the gluten-free flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together.
- Grate the carrots and add to the bowl.
- Prepare your flax eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 6 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the flax eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, vinegar and vanilla and mix in very well.
- The batter will be very thick.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Place into the oven to bake for around 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, check if they’re cooked by inserting a toothpick into the center of one of the cupcakes. If it comes out clean, it’s cooked.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by soaking the cashews in hot water for 1 hour.
- Then rinse them off and add them to the blender with the melted coconut oil, date honey or maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice and salt and blend until very very smooth.
- When your cupcakes are completely cooled, spread frosting on top of each cupcake and immediately sprinkle with crushed walnuts.
*I used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour
*Cashew Cream Frosting adapted from Detoxinista
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 21.4g
- Sodium: 351mg
- Fat: 17.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 45.1g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 3.8g