We have a brand of shortbread cookie in South Africa called ‘Eat Sum More’. Cool name right? Not vegan though, sadly.
I knew I had to nail down a good recipe for vegan shortbread cookies because shortbread is the basis of all sorts of other cool desserts that I absolutely want to make! Like vegan twix bars and millionaire shortbread! Yum yum yum!
And this folks – is it! This small batch recipe for vegan shortbread cookies is the bomb diggity.
I love that it’s a small batch too because recipes that make like 3 dozen cookies are just not for me.
Considering the fact that it’s just me and Jaye and our two cat babies (who funnily enough don’t like cookies), it would be a bit crazy to go making huge batches of things.
I even got adorable heart shaped cookie cutters for the job.
On the day of baking these our air conditioner died and since we currently live in Dubai, this is quite a big deal.
As I was working with this cookie dough, the vegan butter that forms quite a large part of this recipe was melting inside the dough and making it really rather hard to keep the nice little heart shapes I was going for!
So if my heart shaped cookies look a little rough around the edges – this is why! It was about 100 degrees (or more) in my kitchen!
Nonetheless the end result was awesome. This recipe is super simple, being just 4 ingredients.
You simply add some flour, sugar and salt to a mixing bowl, and then you add in the vegan butter and rub it in with your fingers. Then your form it into a ball, and then flatten it out on a flour dusted surface and cut out the cookies, and then bake on low heat for 45 minutes (don’t worry, I’ll provide a few more details in the actual recipe section )
The result? The crunchiest, most satisfying vegan shortbread cookies. Just about 8 or 9 of them.
I think you’re going to love these shortbread cookies, they’re:
- Perfectly crunchy
- An ideal small batch
- Just 4-ingredients
- Super easy
- Insanely good!
Absolutely ideal to have with a cup of tea or coffee for an afternoon snack or as dessert.
So what do you think of these vegan shortbread cookies? Let me know in the comments!
If you’ve made them, let me know how they turned out!
And if you happen to put any pics on instagram please tag me #lovingitvegan so I can see them too!
For more awesome cookie recipes, check these out!
And loads more! Type ‘cookies’ into the search bar to find all the cookie recipes we’ve done.Print
Perfectly crunchy vegan shortbread cookies. This small batch recipe contains just 4-ingredients and makes 8-9 shortbread cookies. Super easy and insanely good!
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter/Margarine
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (149°C).
- Sift the flour and add it to a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt and mix together.
- Then add the vegan butter, rubbing it in with your fingers. It will first be crumbly and then gradually will form into cookie dough.
- Form the cookie dough into a ball and then flatten it out on a flour dusted surface and cut out some cookies. You can either use a rolling pin or your hands to flatten it out. The dough is quite fragile, so if you use a rolling pin, you can roll and sort of press at the same time. Dust the top of the dough with flour so that the rolling pin doesn’t stick. Roll the cookies in sugar and place onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Roll the remaining dough into a ball again and flatten out again, cutting out more cookies and then repeat.
- At the end you’ll cut out your final cookie, and whatever’s left won’t be enough for a last cookie, so just roll into a small ball, roll it in sugar and add it to the baking tray as a bonus cookie.
- You should have around 8-9 cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for around 30 minutes before eating.
*Recipe adapted from Epicurious.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 5.5g
- Sodium: 146mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 16.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.4g