Funfetti cupcakes are cupcakes with sprinkles baked into them. So they’re super pretty and cute and multicolored inside and of course you top them with plenty more sprinkles!
Lots of fun and kids dig it! (My niece was very impressed).
And it’s super simple to do as you can simply adapt a winner of a vegan vanilla cupcake recipe, which is exactly what I did!
So what could go wrong? Well everything, if you use the wrong sprinkles!
I kinda knew that rainbow sprinkles were the best ones to use, except I couldn’t find them. So I just got some regular sprinkles off the shelf and hoped for the best. Ah well, you can just imagine what happened next right?
The sprinkles simply melted in, so my cupcakes were slightly sweeter, darker in color, and there was not a hint of a sprinkle remaining!
So then I tried a different brand, and these were non-pareils (little balls), which Sally’s Baking Addiction had used for one of her recipes, so I thought they had a good chance of working and yippee, they did!
You just have to be careful when mixing them – fold them in, don’t stir vigorously or the color will bleed.
At least these don’t just dissolve and disappear though! There are definite color bits all through the cupcakes.
However, if you can get rainbow sprinkles (also known as jimmies) these work great for funfetti cupcakes!
And then purple frosting – what can I say other than it’s just toooo pretty!
The frosting is a vanilla frosting with a few drops of violet food coloring added in. Purely optional, the recipe will stay the same (and taste the same) without it, so it’s up to you whether you go purple or not.(psst…you should go purple…)
Lots more sprinkles on top and there you have it – vegan funfetti cupcakes!
You will love these vegan funfetti cupcakes, they are:
- Light and fluffy
- Topped with purple frosting
- Packed with sprinkles!
Keep them covered at room temperature where they will stay fresh for a few days, or covered in the fridge where they will stay fresh up to a week!
So what do you think of these funfetti cupcakes? Let me know in the comments! And if you make them, tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can see your pics!
For more gorgeous vegan cupcakes, check out:
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Buttercream Frosting
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Orange and Walnut)
- Midnight Blue Velvet Cupcakes
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting
Just to name a few!
And while you’re here, sign up to our email list, you’ll get a free recipe ebook (yay!) and you’ll always be the first to know when new recipes are posted!
Gorgeously colorful vegan funfetti cupcakes. Moist, light and fluffy vegan cupcakes with purple frosting and plenty of sprinkles!
- For the Funfetti Cupcakes:
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Vegetable Oil (I used olive)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sprinkles*
- For the Vanilla Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter/Margarine
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Drop or two of Violet food coloring (optional)
- For Topping:
- Lots of sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt. Then add the soy milk, vanilla, vegetable oil and vinegar and use a hand whisk briefly to combine.
- Add in the sprinkles last and fold them into the batter. If you are using non-pareils be even more careful as you fold them in so that the color doesn’t run.
- Line a baking tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and soy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and starting off at slow speed, gradually increase speed until thick and smooth. Add in the food coloring if you’re using it and mix again until well combined.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes, top with sprinkles and enjoy.
*Sprinkles should either be rainbow sprinkles (jimmies) or non pareils (balls).
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (including frosting)
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 50.1g
- Sodium: 275mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2.5g