Oh wow, these vegan coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream turned out better than I ever expected!
And the color was a surprise! I was expecting the cupcakes themselves to have more of a light color, more like the color of the frosting. But no, this is a deep dark rich brown.
I did use quite a lot of coffee in these though. Well, I don’t know if you’d agree that it was a lot. I used three tablespoons of a nice strong blend of instant coffee so I imagine each cupcake is around equal to a cup of instant coffee.
And then I used another tablespoon of instant coffee in the frosting!
So the coffee flavor is strong with these guys! But not too strong. I think it’s a perfect flavor blend. They’re unmistakably coffee flavored without being overpowering.
And then I couldn’t tell you why, but the addition of coffee to the frosting seemed to make it super creamy! Like more creamy than frosting has ever been before.
And it just worked so well as a topping for these cupcakes. Like coffee and cream!
There is a little cinnamon in the recipe and cinnamon goes well with coffee so I sprinkled a little on top of the cupcakes too.
If you love coffee and cupcakes, then you will love these vegan coffee cupcakes! They’re:
- Perfectly moist
- Deliciously rich
- Richly flavored
- Topped with coffee buttercream
Keep them covered at room temperature where they will last for a couple of days or covered in the fridge where they will stay fresh for up to a week.
So what do you think of these gorgeous vegan coffee cupcakes? Post your comments/thoughts/questions down below. And if you make the recipe rate it and tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram too if you take a pic. It warms the cockles of my heart to see your kitchen creations!
And if you love dem cupcakes, then you’ll likely love these too:
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Vegan Midnight Blue Velvet Cupcakes
Sign up to our email list to receive a free recipe ebook (awesome!) and to stay updated with all our latest recipes (it’s a win/win!).
- For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Flax Egg
- For the Coffee Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- ⅓ cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- To Decorate:
- Sprinkle Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix in.
- Mix the instant coffee with the 2 Tbsp of Hot Water into a thick paste and then mix into the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk). Add to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla, vegetable oil and vinegar.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy and then add it in.
- Whisk the batter with a hand whisk briefly just to remove lumps. Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar and vegan butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix the instant coffee with the soy milk and vanilla until no lumps remain. Add this in. Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin add in more powdered sugar, if it is too thick, add in a little more soy milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency. It should be very thick for best results.
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with a little cinnamon.