This hearty vegan lentil curry is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s creamy, filling, easy to make and loaded with flavor.
Vegan lentil curry is wholesome, super delicious and high in protein and fiber. All that good stuff.
It’s super easy and pretty quick too, and you can have dinner on the table in less than an hour with this meal.
If you have leftovers, you’ll be happy too because leftovers are divine for lunch the next day.
And making this is a walk in the park.
Even if you’re a cooking newbie this recipe will be easy for you. It’s super forgiving and even if you make a few mistakes, it’ll be okay!
How To Make Vegan Lentil Curry
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
Add chopped onions and garlic to a pot with olive oil and spices and sauté until the onions are softened. Add dried lentils and toss them up with the onions and spices.
Add canned chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and canned coconut cream (or coconut milk) and stir it in.
Bring it to a simmer and then turn down the heat, and simmer until the lentils are soft and cooked.
Add fresh basil leaves.
Stir in the basil leaves until just wilted. Add coconut sugar (for flavor balance) and salt and pepper to taste.
Your lentil curry is ready to serve!
How To Serve Lentil Curry
Serve with or without basmati rice, as you like it! I’m a fan of the rice, so rice it is for me. Cauliflower rice would be great with this too.
Some fresh basil leaves and slices of fresh lime are also great to serve with this. If you’d like something on the side then a loaf of crusty bread to mop up the sauce is always a winner. Or bake a loaf of whole wheat bread.
This recipe easily serves 6 for a filling and delicious meal.
Storing and Freezing
Keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat as needed. Leftovers keep very well for 4-5 days in the fridge.
It’s also freezer friendly for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
More Vegan Lentil Recipes
- Vegan lentil soup is an ultra simple 6-ingredient recipe that is so creamy you will wonder if there is actually cream in it, but there isn’t!
- Red lentil dal is ready in 30 minutes and super delicious and satisfying.
- Lentil bolognese is super hearty and veggie-packed.
- Vegan dal makhani is rich creamy and restaurant quality.
- Lentil ragu makes the best hearty pasta dish!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Lentil Curry
For the Lentil Curry:
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Mild Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 ½ cups Dried Brown Lentils (300g)
- 28 ounces Canned Chopped Tomatoes (800ml, 2 cans)
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock (720ml)
- 14 ounces Canned Coconut Cream (400ml, 1 can) Unsweetened
- 2 cups Fresh Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Basmati Rice
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Lime
- Add the olive oil to a pot with the onion, crushed garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the dried lentils and toss them with the onions and spices.
- Add the chopped tomato, vegetable stock and coconut cream. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and cooked – around 35-40 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked add in the fresh basil and stir in until just wilted. Add the coconut sugar and stir in. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice, fresh basil and some slices of fresh lime.
- Coconut cream can be replaced with canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.
- You can switch the fresh basil to baby spinach if you prefer.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in a covered container for 4-5 days. It’s also freezer friendly for up to 3 months.
- Nutritional information is for the lentil curry only and does not include rice.