This vegan lentil bolognese is the best ever! It’s hearty and veggie packed and satisfying. Vegans and non-vegans alike will love this comfort food classic!
Now this is a seriously tasty meal! It’s wonderfully savory and filling and really high in protein too. It’s also really easy.
The hardest thing about making this is chopping up your veggies really small because finely chopped veggies is a must in creating that perfect bolognese texture.
It’s wonderful served over spaghetti with a little grated vegan parmesan cheese and some fresh parsley.
How To Make Lentil Bolognese
Full instructions and measurements are always in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Add olive oil to a pot along with crushed garlic, finely chopped onion, dried basil, dried oregano and dried rosemary and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in finely chopped carrot, celery, red bell pepper along with tomato paste, white miso paste and dried brown lentils. Add vegetable stock and canned chopped tomato and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer until the lentils are soft but firm (about 35 minutes).
- Add in a little coconut sugar for flavor balance and your bolognese is ready!
Finely Chopped Veggies: It’s important to chop your veggies really finely so that they blend in with the lentils and create a really uniform sauce like what you see in the pics. You can do it by hand or you can use a food processor to chop your veggies up really small.
Dried Brown Lentils: We used dried brown lentils in this recipe and this works great. If you do substitute a different type of lentil like red lentils this is totally fine, but will affect your cooking time as different color lentils cook at different speeds. So just keep an eye out, as soon as your lentils are soft, they are cooked!
White Miso Paste: We used white miso paste in this recipe which works great, but you can substitute a different color miso without any adverse affects.
Coconut Sugar: We just use a little coconut sugar in this recipe to balance the acidity from the tomatoes. However, you can omit this if you prefer or substitute it for brown sugar.
How To Serve Lentil Bolognese
This bolognese is divine served over spaghetti or any pasta. Top it with some fresh parsley and a sprinkle of grated vegan parmesan cheese too! The vegan parmesan you see in these pics is the Violife brand which is very delicious. Alternately you can make your own vegan parmesan and sprinkle that over the top!
Storing and Freezing
Keep leftovers in the fridge where they will keep very well for 4-5 days. It is also freezer friendly if you want to freeze it. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat as usual.
More Delicious Lentil Recipes!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Large Carrots Finely Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery Finely Chopped
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper Finely Chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste (130g)
- 1 Tbsp White Miso Paste
- 1 cup Dried Brown Lentils (200g)
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock (720ml)
- 14 ounces Canned Chopped Tomato (400g)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
For Serving (Optional):
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Fresh Parsley
- Add the olive oil to a pot along with the crushed garlic, finely chopped onion, dried basil, dried oregano and dried rosemary and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the finely chopped carrot, celery and red bell pepper along with the tomato paste, white miso paste and dried brown lentils.
- Add the vegetable stock and canned chopped tomato and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer until the lentils are soft but firm (about 35 minutes).
- Add the coconut sugar and stir in.
- Serve with spaghetti and top with a little grated vegan parmesan and some fresh parsley.
- You can actually use any color miso paste for this bolognese but we used white miso paste.
- The coconut sugar is just for flavor balance. You can also use light brown sugar.
- Nutritional information is for the bolognese only and does not include spaghetti or vegan parmesan.