This vegan peppermint chocolate mousse has the most realistic mousse texture of any vegan mousse out there. You wanna know why?
Well…it’s because of the geniuses who discovered aquafaba. I certainly had nothing to do with it, but I sure am grateful!
What they discovered is that if you take the brine (liquid) from a can of chickpeas and whip it up (adding some cream of tartar for stabilization helps too), it looks and acts like egg whites.
As you can imagine, this led to big excitement!
I mean now you can make vegan meringues, proper meringues that look and taste exactly like egg white meringues!
But we’ll get into more excitement about that part when I post a lemon meringue pie recipe one of these days.
Now before you go getting grossed out about chickpea water in your chocolate mousse, suspend your judgement for a minute – the end result tastes nothing at all like chickpea water, and let’s just call it aquafaba as that sounds much better anyway.
The chocolate mousse that results from this recipe is simply divine. You’re going to love how light and fluffy it is.
Whipping up the aquafaba all the way to the stiff peaks stage can take anywhere from a few minutes to fifteen minutes so get out your electric mixer and prepare to watch magic happen.
I like melting chocolate by placing it in a cake dish above a pot with some water boiling away in it and let it gently melt that way.
Then you just want to fold in the melted chocolate to the whipped aquafaba mix.
Pour into glasses and allow to set. And to make it even more fantastic – serve it with whipped coconut cream and grated peppermint dark chocolate.
Seriously – give this recipe a try, you’ll be entirely sold on the aquafaba thing forever after!
And if you like chocolate mousse things (who doesn’t?) check out our chocolate ice cream that really tastes like a chocolate mousse ice cream!
And if you do make this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment and take a picture too why dontcha and tag it #lovingitvegan on Instagram so we can oooh and aaah over it too!Print
Amazing vegan peppermint chocolate mousse, the best texture vegan mousse you’ve ever had! In just 5 ingredients too!
- Open a can of chickpeas and drain the water out of the can and into a mixing bowl.
- Add the Cream of Tartar.
- Starting at low speed allow the mix to become very foamy and then gradually increase the speed.
- Let the mixer run until your chickpea brine and cream of tartar mix has reached the stiff peak stage (as pictured above). This can take up to 15 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and whisk again until well mixed.
- Melt the chocolate by placing it in a heat proof dish over a pot with some boiling water.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped aquafaba mix being careful to incorporate it slowly, folding it in gently.
- Then add the peppermint extract.
- You will notice that the aquafaba mix collapses a little once the chocolate and peppermint extract are mixed in, don’t worry about this, it’s fine.
- Pour equal amounts of chocolate mousse into serving glasses and place into the coldest part of your refrigerator to set for an hour or two.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream and grated peppermint dark chocolate.
*Nutrition information is based on 1 serve of 4 without coconut cream.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g