Perfectly textured melt-in-the-mouth vegan peppermint patties! These creamy, dreamy peppermint desserts are super easy and fun to make and so delicious!
Ah vegan peppermint patties. Such a simple recipe really. Such a lovely concept.
Yet….it took me an age to figure out!
The trouble was I started off quite determined to make it work with coconut butter. And that turned out to be my downfall because I just could not.
Now, I do love coconut butter, I really do. But the trouble was that coconut butter plus powdered sugar plus peppermint extract created a center that was just too hard. It was perfect in terms of color, but the texture wasn’t right.
So I tried it again but added in some golden syrup, now the texture was perfect, but the color wasn’t right! The golden color from the syrup made the centers too dark in color.
So then I tried it using light corn syrup, but I wasn’t happy with the result. It was still a little too firm for my liking and I didn’t like the taste as much, the color was good, but it just wasn’t quite right for me.
So then I was like: well why not make it with vegan condensed milk then? I mean, all the non-vegan versions make it with condensed milk. Why get stuck on the coconut butter as an ingredient? And that was when it all came together!
I made a batch of vegan condensed milk and mixed condensed milk with powdered sugar and peppermint extract and that created the most perfectly textured vegan peppermint patties in existence I am sure of it.
Using the condensed milk, it was just so easy, even creating the shapes for the patties was so easy, the dough was so pliable and easy to handle, it was just a pleasure.
So the extra few minutes taken to make the vegan condensed milk is well worth it in my view.
How To Make Vegan Peppermint Patties
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
If you are using homemade vegan condensed milk then you will start off by making a batch of that. We have a recipe for vegan condensed milk that is made in the blender and takes literally minutes to make. Alternatively you can use a store-bought option.
- Add powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and then add in your vegan condensed milk and peppermint extract and mix very well into a thick ball of dough. It can sometimes seem as if it won’t come together and maybe you even need to get in there with your hands to get all the powdered sugar mixed in with the condensed milk but it will come together and you need it to be super thick.
- Now break off even amounts of the dough and form them into balls and place evenly on a parchment lined baking tray. Use your hands or the base of a glass with a square of parchment paper (so that it doesn’t stick) to flatten them slightly. Now place them into the freezer for about an hour to get really firm.
- Break up your vegan chocolate (or use chocolate chips) and add to a microwave safe bowl along with coconut oil and microwave in 30-second intervals bringing it out to stir every 30-seconds until your chocolate is melted.
- Dip your peppermint patties into the melted chocolate and then place them back onto the parchment lined baking tray.
- Top with a little decoration like chocolate sprinkles and then refrigerate to set.
Vegan Condensed Milk: You can make your own homemade version in the blender like we did using soy milk powder or rice milk powder, or you can use a store-bought option. We tested this with condensed coconut milk as well and it worked great!
Vegan Chocolate or Chocolate Chips: I prefer to melt down a high quality good tasting vegan chocolate here rather than using chocolate chips, but either/or will work.
Storing and Freezing
Having these vegan peppermint patties in the fridge to snack on is such a treat!
Keep them stored in the fridge and enjoy them as and when you like. They last for weeks in the fridge, or you can store them in the freezer for months.
More Vegan Candy Recipes
- Vegan Snickers Bars
- Vegan Twix Bars
- Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
- Vegan Peanut Butter Bars
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Vegan Bounty Bars
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Peppermint Patties
- Add the powdered sugar to a mixing bowl along with the vegan condensed milk and peppermint extract and mix in until you have a big ball of dough. If it seems like it won’t come together, get in there with your hands and form it into a ball of dough. It will be quite firm and not sticky.
- Break off even pieces of the dough and roll it into balls and place the balls onto a parchment lined baking tray. Then flatten the balls with your hands into flattish rounds. Alternatively you can flatten them with the base of a glass. Place into the freezer for an hour to firm up.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and add to a microwave safe bowl along with the coconut oil. Microwave in 30-second intervals bringing it out to stir every 30-seconds until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip the peppermint patties into the chocolate, using two teaspoons to lift them out and place them back onto the parchment lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle some chocolate jimmies on top if you like (optional) and place into the fridge to set.
- Keep them stored in the fridge and serve directly from the fridge or the chocolate will melt.
- Condensed Milk. We have a full recipe and instructions for making your own vegan condensed milk in minutes in your blender but you can of course use a ready-made store-bought version of your choice. We tested this recipe with condensed coconut milk and it also worked great!
- Chocolate. I prefer to melt down a high quality vegan chocolate rather than using chocolate chips for this recipe but either will work. This recipe uses 2 cups of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Storing. Keep your peppermint patties stored in the fridge where they will stay good for weeks. You can also store them in the freezer where they will last for months.
- This recipe was first published in March 2018 and has now been updated with clearer text and instructions.