This baked vegan spinach artichoke dip is deliciously creamy and cheesy. Super simple to make with spectacular results. And it’s great for a party!
I am seriously in love with this vegan spinach artichoke dip. Like almost to addictive levels.
Every afternoon for the past few afternoons, I get a ‘craving’ and out come the salty crackers and the chips and the leftover spinach artichoke dip!
We make so much rich food for this blog that I give a lot of it away, I mean, of course. But this dip? Not going anywhere!
Now this might sound a little weird, but Jaye thinks it tastes a little like tuna mayonnaise and he meant that in a good way! Hahaha, it doesn’t actually taste fishy, but there is something about those marinaded artichokes that give this so much flavor.
The best vegan spinach artichoke dip
So, in deciding how to make this recipe, I did what I often do. I looked at a bunch of recipes for a regular (non-vegan) version of the recipe and then thought about what the core features are and how I could veganize it.
So it seemed to me that the core features of a spinach artichoke dip are cream cheese and mayonnaise, with onion and garlic and of course, spinach and artichokes!
Since I recently made a fabulous vegan cream cheese I decided to use that as the base of this recipe and add in some vegan mayonnaise and some deliciously fried onions and garlic along with sautéed spinach and marinated artichokes. The results were to-die-for!
How to make vegan spinach artichoke dip
So we start off with making the vegan cream cheese/mayonnaise mix by adding soaked cashews to a blender jug (a Vitamix is perfect for this) with some lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt and onion powder along with some vegan mayonnaise and nutritional yeast.
Blend until smooth.
Then we sauté some onions and garlic with some olive oil and dried rosemary and when the onions are perfectly softened, add in half to the blender and blend that in.
Now add some marinated artichokes to the remaining onions in the pan and fry up until they’re broken up and softened, and then add in your baby spinach and let that get nice and wilted.
Then transfer the artichoke and spinach mix to a 9-inch round oven safe dish. Pour over the blended cream cheese/mayonnaise mixture and fold it in.
Then you just want to bake it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until it gets this gorgeous crust on top.
And of course you break that crust immediately with some salted crackers or chips! It’s absolutely divine.
Marinated artichokes are the best for this as they have so much flavor. You can also use grilled artichokes, those are great too. We tried both options and liked them both.
I definitely prefer these options to using canned artichokes, as those will have much less flavor. You can use them in a pinch, but grilled or marinated artichokes are going to be the most flavorful.
If you’re not a huge spinach fan, you can chop up the spinach first, so that there are smaller pieces of spinach in your final dip.
If you use the whole baby spinach (as we did) you get these lovely big chunks of spinach in there with your deliciously cheesy dip, but if that doesn’t sound totally amazing to you, then chop up the spinach first. You’ll get the gorgeous color and flavor without having big chunks of spinach.
This is a chunky dip though, those artichoke pieces are wonderfully chunky, in the most delicious way.
How to serve vegan spinach artichoke dip
With salted crackers and chips! Tortilla chips are great too. This is my favorite way to serve this. I don’t think that’s a secret anymore…?
You can also serve it with bread, nice toasted slices of a baguette or a ciabatta for dipping would be wonderful for this.
And if you want to go more towards the healthy side then fresh veggies would be awesome to dip into this too.
If you really want to go crazy, you could sprinkle some vegan parmesan on top too!
No matter what you serve it with, this dip is going to be a crowd pleaser.
So I hope you’ll love this vegan spinach artichoke dip! It is:
- Ultra creamy
- Great for a party!
Keep leftovers stored in the fridge and enjoy within around 5 days. You can reheat it if you want, but it’s also pretty amazing straight from the fridge!
More vegan dips!
- Vegan Onion Dip – caramelized onion perfection!
- Eggplant Dip
- Vegan Hummus – the best!
- Baba Ganoush
- Vegan Nacho Cheese – divine as a dip or poured over nachos!
- Vegan Spinach Dip – Not a fan of artichokes? This one’s for you. Similar to this, but no artichokes!
So let us know in the comments below what you think of this vegan spinach artichoke dip and please rate the recipe too, thanks!
To stay updated with all our latest recipes sign up to our email list! We’ll also send you an awesome (and free) recipe ebook with 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes.
The best vegan spinach artichoke dip. This deliciously creamy and cheesy baked dip is simple to make with spectacular results. Great for a party!
For the Cream Cheese:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Raw Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour and then drained)*
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Cream
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 cup (120g) Vegan Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup (45g) Nutritional Yeast
For the Spinach and Artichokes:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 7oz (200g) Marinated Artichokes*
- 4 Packed Cups (160g) Baby Spinach*
- Add the soaked cashews, lemon juice, coconut cream, white vinegar, salt, onion powder, vegan mayonnaise and nutritional yeast to the blender and blend until smooth. Then leave it in the blender for the moment and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to pan along with the chopped onion, crushed garlic and rosemary and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then remove half the onions from the frying pan and place them into the blender jug along with the cream cheese mixture and blend again. Leave it in the blender again and set aside.
- Add the marinated artichokes to the frying pan with the remaining onions and sauté, letting the artichokes break up as you fry them with the onions. When the artichokes are softened then add in all the spinach and fry it with the artichokes and onions until wilted.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Transfer the spinach and artichoke mix to an oven safe 9-inch round dish.
- Pour over the cream cheese from the blender and fold it in with the spinach and artichokes.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Serve with salted crackers, tortilla chips, breads or anything that’s great for dipping.
*Weigh the cashews before soaking for the most accurate results. Then place them into a bowl and pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave to soak for an hour.
*Marinated or grilled artichokes are the tastiest to use in this recipe.
*We used the baby spinach as is, but you can also chop it if you want smaller pieces of spinach spread more evenly throughout the dip.
- Category: Savory, Side, Appetizer, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 12)
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 267mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 5.5g
Keywords: vegan spinach artichoke dip