Did you know that shortcake is basically a scone? I did not know this!
Not until I decided to go ahead and make some vegan strawberry shortcake that is! Then I found out pretty quick.
It’s basically scones that you layer with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream. Which is always going to be a great idea!
Making this recipe is as easy as baking up some scones, er, I mean shortcakes, which is really very easy to do, and then piling on some strawberries and vegan whipped cream in the middle and more on top!
You definitely want the cream to be sweetened for this. The overall recipe is not super sweet, while you do add sugar to the strawberries, and there is a little added to the shortcake as well, it’s still not super sweet. If you didn’t sweeten the cream, the result could be a little too savory for a dessert, and this is a dessert!
So go on and sweeten the cream.
A little powdered sugar is usually the best way to do it.
So I think you’re going to love our vegan strawberry shortcake, it is:
- Perfectly sweet
- Golden Brown
- Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside
- Layered with sweetened strawberries and cream!
Keep leftover shortcakes at room temperature and consume within 2 days though the fresher the better.
So let us know what you think of this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe! Making it soon? Lemino how it turns out! And tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram if you take any pics because I must see!
For more delicious recipes, check out:
- Vegan Scones with Jam and Cream
- Strawberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Cashew Yogurt
- Vegan Pancakes with Jam and Cream
Sign up to our email list to stay updated with all our latest recipes! You’ll also get a 10-recipe ebook completely free!
- For the Shortcake:
- 3 cups (375g) Self Raising Flour (plus more for sprinkling)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup (112g) Vegan Butter/Margarine
- ¼ cup (50g) Sugar or Caster Sugar*
- ¾ cup (180ml) Soy Milk (plus more for bushing the tops)*
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- For the Strawberries:
- 16oz (450g) Fresh Strawberries (sliced)
- ¼ cup (50g) Sugar or Caster Sugar
- For the Vegan Whipped Cream:
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream (chilled overnight)
- 3 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt and baking powder.
- Add the vegan butter or margarine and rub it in with your fingers until the entire mix is crumbly.
- Add in the sugar or caster sugar.
- Mix the lemon juice with the soy milk and allow to curdle into buttermilk. Add it in with the dry ingredients and mix in with a spoon.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Flour a surface and turn the dough out onto the surface. Add more flour as needed to stop it sticking to your hands and form the dough into a big ball. Flatten out the ball just enough to be able to cut out 4 cakes. Dip a smooth cutter in flour and then cut out the cakes and place them on a parchment lined baking tray. Roll the remaining dough into a big ball, flatten out again and cut out 2 cakes. Repeat for another 2 cakes and then whatever is left over will form the remaining shortcake.
- Brush the top of the shortcakes with soy milk and then place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- While the shortcakes are baking slice your strawberries and place into a big bowl, stir in the sugar and then place into the fridge.
- Prepare your whipped cream by removing the can of coconut cream from the fridge - being careful not to shake it. You'll see the cream section will have risen to the top, scoop out only the cream part leaving the watery part behind in the can. Whip this up in an electric whisk until whipped. Add in the powdered sugar and whip again. For a full tutorial on making whipped cream, see here.
- When the shortcakes are baked, slice them in half and then layer with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
*You can use any non-dairy milk you prefer
*Nutritional information is an estimate based on 1 serving of strawberry shortcake (of 9) including strawberries and cream.
*Shortcake recipe adapted from our Vegan Scones.