When I was 16 and working in my first ‘proper’ job at a law firm (yes I did start young!), one of my duties was to run errands for some of the more senior staff. So on a daily basis at around 10am I would find myself popping out to a nearby cafe to pick up tea time snacks for everyone.
Muffins and chelsea buns and cinnamon buns and all kinds of goodies.
And my snack of choice was always a bran muffin. Warmed in the microwave and then generously layered with butter!
And you know, between then and now, I don’t know if I really had another bran muffin! So it was really fun to make these bran muffins, it took me back! And yes, I love them just as much now as I did then! If not more, because….you know, these ones are vegan too!
I had a bit of a struggle finding the wheat bran for this recipe. It’s not an ingredient I’ve used much before, so I didn’t know where to find it.
I scoured all the baking sections of my regular stores and it was nowhere to be seen. I was about to despair of finding it and then I came upon it by accident in the cereal section! Who knew?
Making these bran muffins is just too easy. There’s no tricky bits to it at all, except that you should probably weigh your flour. But then, you should always weigh your flour.
Flour is the trickiest measurement to get right so should really always be weighed unless you’re really a veteran baker.
And then of course I added raisins to these. What’s a bran muffin without raisins! As usual in our family, Jaye devours muffins, banana bread muffins, banana breads, cornbreads and more without any butter at all, whereas I’m a big fan of the vegan butter. So slather it on, or don’t. Either way these bran muffins are awesome.
You will love these vegan bran muffins, they are:
- Packed with raisins
- Great for breakfast
- Ideal for snacks
Keep them at room temperature if you’re going to be eating them within a couple of days, otherwise if you want to keep them longer than a few days, keep them covered in the fridge.
If you have any questions about these bran muffins, post them down below. And if you make this recipe, rate it and let me know how they turned out.
If you take any photos tag me #lovingitvegan on instagram so I can see them!
And do sign up to our mailing list to get a fabulous free ebook containing 10 lovely recipes. You’ll also stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.Print
Easy and delicious raisin packed vegan bran muffins. Hearty and satisfying and great for a quick vegan breakfast or snack.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Wheat Bran
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (I used Olive)
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar (White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (75g) Raisins (seedless)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the wheat bran, brown sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the soy milk, applesauce, oil, flax egg, vinegar and vanilla to the mixing bowl and mix in, using a hand whisk briefly to remove any lumps.
- Add the raisins and stir in.
- Spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray and divide the batter evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin (of 12)
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 20.9g
- Sodium: 169mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 37.7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3.2g